Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM2.1.3 run successfully but without output

LIN

watermelon
I'm having some trouble with my experiment. When I run./case.submit, it appears to be running normally, with cesm.exe. But the output does not update the log file. I don't know why. Then I interrupted the run, I found the log file has changed from 0kb to 5kb. I try to find the trouble, but this trouble I have never been seen. I don't know if it's the server, I was hoping to get some advice. @oleson @slevis
1699515736447.png
1699515769248.png1699515812062.png
1699515851571.png

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The only traceback I see is line 599 in cime_comp_mod.F90 which in release-cesm2.1.3 is:
call mpi_init(ierr)

which seems to be initializing mpi. Since you've run successfully before, maybe this is just a temporary systems issue.
You might look at the other log files as well for possible errors.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
When you kill a program you do expect to get output similar to above. The line where it says forrtl: (78) process kills (SIGTERM) is where we see that you interrupted the program, so the traceback and cascade or error messaging is really completely expected here.

As far as your original question about why it's not sending output that's what you really want to know here. And that could be for many different reasons. It also depends on your case, the compset, the resolution, the number of processors and their layout, as well as the machine and compiler being used. This could be a load imbalance issue or just that it's slow for the number of processors being used. Do you have some cases that have worked? How is this different from them? Also if you are doing a complex compset, or a relatively high resolution, you might want to try with a simple compset and lower resolution.

So we'll need more details on your case for the list of things I give above...

slevis

Linking another thread that seems related from the title: