Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM3_alpha02a FV3 build problem

lamaliang

Hello,

There is a bug in the FV3 case build. Due to CESM3_alpha02a removing MCT, "comp_interface" should be removed in components/cam/cime_config/buildlib at line 114.

By the way, if we would like to use FV3 for CAM7LT or CAM7MT, could you provide initial data for the simulation? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not sure when we will be able to supply FV3 initial data for cam7LT and cam7MT simulations.

lamaliang

Thanks for your reply.

Due to our model TaiESM1 that is base on CESM, in next version, we would like try to testing FV3 dynamic core instead of FV. Could you have any suggestion about initial condition data.

Thanks

aherring

Adam
You could start by remapping the L58/L93 ncdata files (in namelist_defaults.xml) for SE to FV3.

The remapped lat/lon arrays won't be identical to the ESMF mesh file values and so you will need to overwrite the mapped lat/lon values (ncks -A -v) with mesh file values.

jet

I was just going to answer along the same lines. There are a number of options for remap but in the past I've used ncremap and the appropriate SCRIP files on Derecho under /glade/p/cesmdata/inputdata/share/scripgrids. If the model crashes right away you may also have to shorten the dynamic timestep to get past the initial imbalance due to the interpolation. There are other options to increase damping as well but I'm a bit out of my depth with any recommendations along those lines. See https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/FV3-Technical-Description.pdf