Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

change ozone concentration

khj

Parisa
Hi all,
I have a question.
I want to run compset FW2000climo. The first goal is to add and subtract 15% of the ozone and run the model. is this possible? If this is possible, thank you for guiding me.

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
FW2000climo is a WACCM compset with interactive chemistry. You could subtract 15% of the ozone from the initial condition, but it would come back within months during the model run, due to the interactive chemistry.

CAM and SC-WACCM (specified chemistry WACCM) are two versions of the atmosphere model that use prescribed stratospheric ozone, rather than interactive chemistry. Either of them could be run with an altered stratospheric ozone file.

khj

Parisa
FW2000climo is a WACCM compset with interactive chemistry. You could subtract 15% of the ozone from the initial condition, but it would come back within months during the model run, due to the interactive chemistry.

CAM and SC-WACCM (specified chemistry WACCM) are two versions of the atmosphere model that use prescribed stratospheric ozone, rather than interactive chemistry. Either of them could be run with an altered stratospheric ozone file.
Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for your answer and guidance.
I just got acquainted with the model and I want to ask you if there is any guide according to which I can change the ozone concentration (I mean the file path, file name and parameters that need to be changed)

Best Regards

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for your answer and guidance.
I just got acquainted with the model and I want to ask you if there is any guide according to which I can change the ozone concentration (I mean the file path, file name and parameters that need to be changed)

Best Regards
That depends on whether you want to change the initial condition in a WACCM run with interactive chemistry, or change the the prescribed ozone in CAM or SC-WACCM.

Assuming you want to use CAM or SC-WACCM, look in the atmosphere namelist file (CaseDocs/atm_in) to find pointers to the prescribed_ozone_datapath and prescribed_ozone_file, such as:

prescribed_ozone_datapath = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/ozone_strataero'
prescribed_ozone_file = 'ozone_strataero_WACCM_L70_zm5day_18500101-20150103_CMIP6ensAvg_c180923.nc'

You can then copy this file to one with a different name, and then apply any scaling you want to the O3 variable. Then you need to point to your new file by adding two lines to user_nl_cam in your case directory in order to modify the namelist:

prescribed_ozone_datapath = '/path/to/file'
prescribed_ozone_file = 'ozone_x0.85_strataero_WACCM_L70_zm5day_18500101-20150103_CMIP6ensAvg_c20220416.nc'

Note, that this does not apply to the FW2000climo compset, since that is a WACCM compset with interactive chemistry. If you just want to change the initial condition in WACCM, look for ncdata in atm_in, and follow a similar procedure to copy it and scale O3.

khj

Parisa
That depends on whether you want to change the initial condition in a WACCM run with interactive chemistry, or change the the prescribed ozone in CAM or SC-WACCM.

Assuming you want to use CAM or SC-WACCM, look in the atmosphere namelist file (CaseDocs/atm_in) to find pointers to the prescribed_ozone_datapath and prescribed_ozone_file, such as:

prescribed_ozone_datapath = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/ozone_strataero'
prescribed_ozone_file = 'ozone_strataero_WACCM_L70_zm5day_18500101-20150103_CMIP6ensAvg_c180923.nc'

You can then copy this file to one with a different name, and then apply any scaling you want to the O3 variable. Then you need to point to your new file by adding two lines to user_nl_cam in your case directory in order to modify the namelist:

prescribed_ozone_datapath = '/path/to/file'
prescribed_ozone_file = 'ozone_x0.85_strataero_WACCM_L70_zm5day_18500101-20150103_CMIP6ensAvg_c20220416.nc'

Note, that this does not apply to the FW2000climo compset, since that is a WACCM compset with interactive chemistry. If you just want to change the initial condition in WACCM, look for ncdata in atm_in, and follow a similar procedure to copy it and scale O3.
Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for your help and answer.