Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

changing co2 in cam5

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
From user:

I am trying to run CAM5 with 4xCO2 in our local machine.

Could you tell me what I need to add in atm_in file or other files to make 4xCO2 run?

I add ‘co2vmr = 1516.000e-6’ in atm_in. But the output co2vmr is still original value.

There must be other parameter needs to be modified.

Appreciate your help in advance!

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
You need to set your namelist changes in user_nl_cam not in atm_in. Changes on atm_in will be overwritten. Instructions how to change namelist variables can be found in: https://www.cesm.ucar.edu/events/tutorials/2021/files/Practical4-introduction-hannay.pdf

Changing the CO2 value with the co2vmr namelist variable won't work in every configuration. In some configurations, the CO2 is set as a constant with the co2vmr (for instance for a B1850 with CESM1 or CESM2) but in other configurations, the CO2 will be varying year to year and it will be set in a netcdf file with the variable flbc_file or the variable bndtvghg

For instance in a B1850 with CESM2, the greenhouse gases are set to a constant value.
Code:
ch4vmr         =    791.6e-9   
 co2vmr         =    284.7e-6   
 f11vmr         =    12.48e-12 
 f12vmr         =    0.0       
 flbc_list              = ' '
 n2ovmr         =    275.68e-9

For instance in a FHIST or a BHIST with CESM2:
Code:
flbc_file              = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/waccm/lb/LBC_17500116-20150116_CMIP6_0p5degLat_c180905.nc'
flbc_list              = 'CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11','CFC12','CFC11eq'
flbc_type              = 'SERIAL'
scenario_ghg           = 'CHEM_LBC_FILE'

Or for instance in a FAMIPC5 or B20TR with CESM1:
Code:
bndtvghg               = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/ggas/ghg_hist_1765-2005_c091218.nc'
co2vmr         = 284.7e-6
flbc_list              = ' '
scenario_ghg           = 'RAMPED'

Last edited:

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
From user:

I check the link in your email and also ppt file for how to modify usr_nl_atm.

But that is for CESM2 and CAM6. For CESM1 and CAM5, there is no usr_nl_atm file for the case I created.

This is the commend I used to create the case for the control run,

create_newcase -mach generic_linux_intel -scratchroot /ptmp/CAM5/run -din_loc_root_csmdata /ptmp/CAM5/inputdata -max_tasks_per_node 8 -compset F_AMIP_CAM5 -res f19_f19 -case /ptmp/CAM5/run/cam5.1_ctl

For the abrupt 4xCO2 run with CESM1 and CAM5, I used the following code in atm_in,

Code:
bndtvghg = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/ggas/ghg_hist_1765-2005_c091218.nc'

co2vmr = 1516.0e-6

flbc_list = ' '

scenario_ghg = 'RAMPED'

But there is only very small change in 4xCO2 run comparing with the control run. In the control run, co2vmr = 379.0e-6

Still not sure what is the right setup for an abrupt 4xCO2 run with CAM5.

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
Please look into the case directory:
/ptmp/CAM5/run/cam5.1_ctl
for the file:
user_nl_cam
This is where you would do your changes.
Note that the file called: user_nl_cam and not usr_nl_atm.

In your example, the greenhouse gases will be read from the file bndtvghg
bndtvghg = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/ggas/ghg_hist_1765-2005_c091218.nc'
scenario_ghg = 'RAMPED'

The variable
co2vmr
will be ignored.

You might be able to force the model to use co2vmr instead bndtvghg of by setting:
scenario_ghg = 'FIXED'

PS: If possible, please could you post further questions here instead of sending in a email. Thank you so much.

wuxq

There is no file user_nl_cam under /ptmp/CAM5/run/cam5.1_ctl, not sure why. But under /ptmp/CAM5/run/cam5.1_ctl/run, there is atm_in.

After changing RAMPED to FIXED, the run fails with co2vmr=1516.0e-6. But the run with co2vmr = 379.0e-6 is running ok with FIXED.

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
I am confused why there is no user_nl_cam under /ptmp/CAM5/run/cam5.1_ctl
As far as I know, you cannot change the namelist by directly modifying atm_in.
Any change you would do in /ptmp/CAM5/run/cam5.1_ctl/run/atm_in should be overwritten when you submit the run.
Which tag are you using? By tag I mean version of cesm. I want to try to reproduce the case directory.
Thanks.

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
This is a very old tag.

I believe that in the old days, there was a variable called CCSM_CO2_PPMV in the file env_conf.xml. If you change it there, it should propagate into co2vmr