Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Choice of compset

Shreya Bhowmick

Shreya Bhowmick
Hello everyone,

To run the model with prescribed observed Climatological SSTs which compset needs to be chosen or how the namelist files needs to be modified? I want the startdate to be from 1951.

Thank you for your time,
Shreya

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Shreya,

If I understand your question correctly, are you trying to run with observed, historical SSTs starting in the year 1951? If so then you can set up an “FHIST” compset run, and then in env_run.xml set the SSTICE_YEAR_ALIGN, SSTICE_YEAR_START, and SSTICE_YEAR_END fields so that the SST file data starts in year 1951. You can also modify these fields in combination with the model start and end dates to repeat years if need be (how to do so should be explained in the variable descriptions).

Of course if I misunderstood your question, or if you are unsure about anything described above, then please let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse

Shreya Bhowmick

Shreya Bhowmick
Hi Jesse,

Sorry for not being clear with the question earlier. By climatological SST I mean using the same 12 month variation of SST for every year from 1951 onwards. I am currently using CESM 1.2.2 and there is a compset F_AMIP_CAM5 which uses year to year varying prescribed SST from 1979 to 2005. I checked that the SST file had data from 1851-2012. So I started the run from 1951 onwards and I got the output. So my questions are:
i) Does running FAMIPC5 from 1950-01-01 will give the output of the year 1950 as its default startdate is 1979-01-01? I saw that clm is using initial conditions from a file named b40.1850.track1.1deg.006.clm2.r.0863-01-01-00000.nc. This restart file is of the year 863 if I am not mistaken.
ii) There is another compset F2000CAM5 which uses climatological SST which is averaged from 1982 to 2001. Can I use the SST file for the compset F2000C5 in FAMIPC5?
iii) If not then how to start F2000C5 from the year 1951 or any nearby year. I do not have the initial conditions.

Thank you for your help and patience!
Shreya

wvsi3w

wvs3iw
Hi Shreya,

If I understand your question correctly, are you trying to run with observed, historical SSTs starting in the year 1951? If so then you can set up an “FHIST” compset run, and then in env_run.xml set the SSTICE_YEAR_ALIGN, SSTICE_YEAR_START, and SSTICE_YEAR_END fields so that the SST file data starts in year 1951. You can also modify these fields in combination with the model start and end dates to repeat years if need be (how to do so should be explained in the variable descriptions).

Of course if I misunderstood your question, or if you are unsure about anything described above, then please let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse
Dear Jesse,
I have used I1850Clm50Bgc as my compset and I want to know the following:

1- why when I check my env_run.xml file I see this (entry id="RUN_STARTDATE" value="0001-01-01") when basically the compset is saying that it will start from pre-industrial (1850)? should I change the RUN_STARTDATE to "1850-01-01"?

2- the compset I used doesn't have any scientifically supported grids and I used (res=f19-g16). Does it matter what res to choose for this compset as it is not mentioned in the documentation file ??

3- my env_run.xml has this info: ("STOP_OPTION" value="nyears") & ("STOP_N" value="3") & ("STOP_DATE" value="-999"). So basically I put 3 years for the run and the STOP_DATE is negative, which means this id is off by the model definition. So do you think I should change that negative value? on the other hand, it says "STOP_DATE"=Alternative date yyyymmdd date option, sets the run length with STOP_OPTION and STOP_N, a negative value implies off". Does this mean I don't need to change the STOP_DATE value, and it would start from year 1 and end the simulation in year 3 ???

Thank