Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CICE startup failed with picard convergence error and vertical thermo error

cesm_beginner

Deyuan Zhang
Hello all.

I am doing a high-resolution ocean-ice simulation forced by JRA.

Compset: 2000_DATM%JRA-1p4-2018_SLND_CICE_POP2_DROF%JRA_SGLC_SWAV
Resolution: TL319_t13

I have succeeded in running a 1-deg simulation with gx1v7 using a similar configuration. However, the model stops after initialization at the first time step. I have looked up the forum and tried all the way I could find, including changing the time step of dt_count (500 720 1200) and ATM_NCPL (48, 96, 144, 288, 720), using a default initial field (ice_ic='default'), modifying the source codes, etc. Unfortunately, all of these didn't work.

Since the JRA is directly downloaded from the website and a lower-resolution case has been successfully run, I don't think the problem comes from the forcing. The time step is also considered and tested.

Could anybody give me some advice on how to find the errors?

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Does it say anything more in the cesm.log or ice.log file? Picard convergence is a thermodynamic error in the mushy thermodynamics. Is there more here? Normally the thermo errors have a lot of information like flux convergence problems or Tsn initial problems. Coupling of the ocean and sea ice at tx0.1v3 resolution can be challenging. You may even have to try dt_count =1500 or larger initially. Increasing ATM_NCPL does increase ICE_NCPL and the internal CICE timestep. How are you initializing POP?

cesm_beginner

Deyuan Zhang
Thanks for your quick reply. Here are some log files. As the cesm.log is too large, I only keep the error information after the initialization.

--Does it say anything more in the cesm.log or ice.log file?
Reply: The ice.log doesn't contain detailed information. I guess it is because the CICE aborts at the first integration step.

--Picard convergence is a thermodynamic error in the mushy thermodynamics. Is there more here?
Reply: The specific information about the thermodynamic error can be found in the tail of cesm.log.

--How are you initializing POP?
Reply: The initial file of POP is from the salinity and temperature of WOA13. I check the ocn.log and found that the pop finished initialization without any further calculation.

I will try larger dt_count and ICE_NCPL to see whether I can get this through.

Attachments

• ice.log.131216.230310-203756.txt
    14.8 KB · Views: 2
  • cesm.log.131216.230310-203756.txt
    26.5 KB · Views: 2