Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

climate forcing up to 2021 for Australia

m_valmartin@sheffield_ac_uk

Maria Val Martin
Hello, I need to do single point simulations with CLM5 for a field site in Australia from 2016 to 2021. In glade, we have available clmforc.GSWP3.c2011.0.5x0.5 global up to 2014 and NLDAS2.c2020.0125x0125 for North America up to 2019. I am wondering if anybody in the community has climate forcing data for CLM5 already available for Australia or a global dataset that goes up to 2021, in which I can extract the parameters for my site, or knows a good source where I could extract hourly time series up to 2021 of temperature, wind, specific humidity, longwave radiation, solar radiation, precipitation for Australia . Thanks a lot! Best regards, Maria

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
One possibility is the TRENDY2022 project which uses CRUJRA. The data runs through 2021 and is currently here:

/glade/scratch/djk2120/trendy2022/three_stream

I've been told that we haven't run with this yet, but we don't expect any problems.
The one thing to note is that they give FSDS as direct vs. diffuse, so you just have to set up the solar streams accordingly

<fieldInfo>
<variableNames>
FSDS_DIRECT swdndr
FSDS_DIFFUSE swdndf
</variableNames>

m_valmartin@sheffield_ac_uk

Maria Val Martin
One possibility is the TRENDY2022 project which uses CRUJRA. The data runs through 2021 and is currently here:

I've been told that we haven't run with this yet, but we don't expect any problems.
The one thing to note is that they give FSDS as direct vs. diffuse, so you just have to set up the solar streams accordingly

<fieldInfo>
<variableNames>
FSDS_DIRECT swdndr
FSDS_DIFFUSE swdndf
</variableNames>
Thanks, Keith. This is very useful! Maria

wangqr

<fieldInfo>
<variableNames>
FSDS_DIRECT swdndr
FSDS_DIFFUSE swdndf
</variableNames>
Hello, Keith and Maria,

I also want to use the trendy2022 data. But how can I get access to the path you mentioned? Where does it exist?

Thanks

Qingrui Wang

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It exists on a file system that is mounted on our HPC, cheyenne. Do you have access to cheyenne?

wangqr

It exists on a file system that is mounted on our HPC, cheyenne. Do you have access to cheyenne?
Hi, Keith.

Thank you for your reply. I don't have the access to cheyenne yet. How can I get access? Or can I achieve the data from somewhere else?

Best regards,

Qingrui

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There is a new capability that enables guest collections using Globus. I haven't tried this so I don't know if it will work.
But you could try this link:

Globus

I'm not sure how it will look on your end or if you'll be able to download the data. The entire collection is rather large at 1.4 TB.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I've been informed that there may be an embargo on this data, therefore I've removed this link. I'll provide an update once I learn more.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Please try this link:

Since this dataset includes JRA-55 data, acknowledgment should include the following: "The dataset used for this study includes data from the Japanese 55-year Reanalysis (JRA-55) project carried out by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA)." Furthermore, note that "Individual users should provide JMA (jra@met.kishou.go.jp) with a copy of their scientific or technical papers, publications, press releases or other communications regarding these datasets."

wangqr

Please try this link:

Since this dataset includes JRA-55 data, acknowledgment should include the following: "The dataset used for this study includes data from the Japanese 55-year Reanalysis (JRA-55) project carried out by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA)." Furthermore, note that "Individual users should provide JMA (jra@met.kishou.go.jp) with a copy of their scientific or technical papers, publications, press releases or other communications regarding these datasets."
I have successfully accessed the data. Thank you very much, Keith.