Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM output restart file missing

syang

Shawn Yang
Dear all,

I successfully run the CLM5 case I2000Clm50BgcCruGs and the output files included "hist" files (***.clm.h0.***2550***.nc) and "restart" files (***.clm.r.nc). However, I re-setup the case and would like to do spinups for 100 years. This time no "restart" files (***.clm.r.nc) coming out, only with "***.datm.rs1.**.bin file". I have no idea why does this situation happen? And how can I get the restart files so I can use it as initial conditions. THANKS!!!

Attachments

• CLM output file.png
    CLM output file.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 21

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It looks like your restart file is there:

Heihe_005x005_OWNFC_500spinup.clm2.r.2550-01-01-00000.nc

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hopefully, this is resolved, but I'm moving it to the CLM forum.

syang

Shawn Yang
It looks like your restart file is there:

Heihe_005x005_OWNFC_500spinup.clm2.r.2550-01-01-00000.nc
Thanks for your reply. "Heihe_005x005_OWNFC_500spinup.clm2.r.2550-01-01-00000.nc" was the previous restart file. The new outputs yield no restart files. Then, I re-created a I2000Clm50BgcCruGs case. This time there are restart files now! So, I think it could be a bug or something wrong with my old case. Anyway, it is solved now! THANKS!

Hopefully, this is resolved, but I'm moving it to the CLM forum.
Dear Erik and all,

I'm struggling due to this problem (CESM2.2.0).
Before running the IHISTClm50Bgc, I run the I1850Clm50*(I1850Clm50Bgc, I1850Clm50BgcCrop, I1850Clm50BgcCropCru) compsets for spin-up.
However, there is no restart file after running these compsets (I1850Clm50*).
Also, I got the error when running I1850Clm50BgcSpinup.

How can I solve this problem?
Thank you in advance

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Is the model completing successfully? Can you attach the CaseStatus file that is in your case directory?

Is the model completing successfully? Can you attach the CaseStatus file that is in your case directory?
I1850Clm50Bgc, I1850ClmBgcCrop (also I1850ClmBgcCropCru case) compsets: success, Only historical files are created...
I1850ClmBgc.Spinup: failed.

What's the difference btw. I1850Clm50Bgc and I1850Clm50Bgc_Spinup?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Attachments

• CaseStatus.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 1

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That compset (I1850Clm50BgcSpinup) is definitely not working out of the box with release-cesm2.2.0.
That compset is designed to use "CPLHIST" atmospheric forcing, which is generally forcing from a coupled model simulation, to spinup CLM for a coupled model historical simulation. The compset comes out of the box with "UNSET" for coupler history xml variables (e.g., DATM_CPLHIST_DIR). That's why you are getting an error. You would have to specify these variables for this to work.
However, if you are simply running a historical simulation out of the box then there will be a spunup initial file provided by that case (specified by finidat in lnd_in).
If you making changes to the model and want to spinup the model prior to running a historical simulation then I would recommend following the instructions in the User's Guide instead of using that compset:

Basically, the spinup is in two steps, an accelerated decomposition (AD) step and a post-AD step. The instructions specify the I1850Clm50BgcCropCru compset but you could also use the I1850Clm50Bgc or I1850ClmBgcCrop compsets depending on your choice of atmospheric forcing or model configuration.