Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM3.5 run failed with regional surface data

Hello,
I want to run the CLM3.5 for one federal state of Germany, so I used the tools provided to generate regional grid surface data set. In a first step I tried now to run CLM again with the new surface data set but the atmospheric NCEPdata given. In the clm.log-file I get this error message:
'Attempting to initialize run control settings ..... Read in clm_inparm namelist from: lnd.stdin
forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 1, file /home/silke/clmtest/lnd.stdin, line 26, position 0'

Indeed, my file lnd.stdin includes only 25 lines, so perhaps something is missing in the namelist, but I do not now what. It looks as follows:

&clm_inparm
caseid = 'clmtest'
ctitle = 'clmtest'
finidat = ' '
fsurdat = '/home/silke/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata/surfdata_0003x0002.nc'
fatmgrid = '/home/silke/inputdata/lnd/clm2/griddata/griddata_0003x0002.nc'
fatmlndfrc = '/home/silke/inputdata/lnd/clm2/griddata/fracdata_0003x0002.nc'
fpftcon = '/home/silke/inputdata/lnd/clm2/pftdata/pft-physiology.c070110.nc'
offline_atmdir = '/home/silke/inputdata/lnd/clm2/NCEPDATA.Qian.T62.c051024'
frivinp_rtm = '/home/silke/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rtmdata/rdirc.05.061026'
nsrest = 0
nelapse = 48
dtime = 1800
start_ymd = 20030701
start_tod = 0
irad = -1
wrtdia = .true.
mss_irt = 0
hist_dov2xy = .true.
hist_nhtfrq = -24
hist_mfilt = 1
hist_crtinic = 'MONTHLY'
/
&prof_inparm
/

Any hints??
Thanks in advance.

slevis

Hi,

To me this error suggests some kind of syntax error in the namelist. The namelist does not expect a particular number of entries, so I don't think that you're missing anything. Also, this error does not imply a problem with your datasets, because the model hasn't tried to read them, yet.

Despite all that, I do not see an obvious syntax error in your namelist. Unfortunately, namelists like this can be tricky, and the error messages not very helpful. For example, an extra character in one of the lines may cause a syntax error...

I suggest that you take a methodical approach, such as starting again from a namelist that works (confirm that it works). Then make your changes but maybe one at a time, testing each change separately. You shouldn't have to do this every time, but this is what I suggest to resolve the problem this time.

Sam Levis
CLM Science Community Liaison