Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM5 case build issue

xgao304

I am using cesm 2.1.3. When I try to build the case, I got the error message. Here is what I did:

create_newcase --case BgcCropGs2000 --compset I2000Clm50BgcCropGs --res hcru_hcru --machine svante --compiler intel --run-unsupported
./case_setup
./case_build

The error seems related to a missing surfdata "fsurdat'. So do I need to create one for this compset?

------
Building case in directory /net/fs05/d1/xgao/cesm2.1.3/cases/BgcCropGs2000
sharedlib_only is False
model_only is False
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (8388608, -1)
Setting resource.RLIMIT_CORE to -1 from (-1, -1)
Setting resource.RLIMIT_AS to -1 from (-1, -1)
Generating component namelists as part of build
Creating component namelists
Calling /net/fs05/d1/xgao/cesm2.1.3/cesm/cime/src/components/data_comps/datm/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /net/fs05/d1/xgao/cesm2.1.3/cesm/components/clm//cime_config/buildnml
ERROR: Command /net/fs05/d1/xgao/cesm2.1.3/cesm/components/clm/bld/build-namelist failed rc=255
out=CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'irrigate' with val '.true.'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'sim_year' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'sim_year_range' with val 'constant'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_first_ndep' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_first_popdens' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_first_urbantv' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_last_ndep' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_last_popdens' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_last_urbantv' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'use_case_desc' with val 'Conditions to simulate 2000 land-use'
err=File::Glob::glob() will disappear in perl 5.30. Use File::Glob::bsd_glob() instead. at /net/fs05/d1/xgao/cesm2.1.3/cesm/components/clm/bld/CLMBuildNamelist.pm line 4335.
ERROR : CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::add_default() : No default value found for fsurdat.
Are defaults provided for this resolution and land mask?

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes, there isn't a surface dataset for that period and resolution. So you'll need to make a surface dataset for the 360x720_hcru resolution for 2000 conditions.

xgao304

Thanks for the quick reply. I am new to CESM and please pardon me if I ask silly questions.

1. What is the default resolution supported by I2000Clm50BgcCropGs. Is that 0.9x1.25 and 1.9x2.5 for the globe? Should I create my surface dataset based on these default resolution? is there any user guide I could refer to for creating surface dataset?

2. I am a bit confused by the time setting of similar compset: for example: I2000CLM50BgcCrop, I HistCLM50BgcCrop, and I1850CLM50BgcCrop. What are the main differences between them? If I force them with the same external forcing data (i.e. GSWP3 v1) and run the model for the same period (i.e. 1901-2010), what would be the main differences in the results?

3. For any "I" compset with Bgc and Crop: Since bgc model takes really long to reach equilibrium, do you provide the spin-up state of bgc model so that the user could interpolate it to any resolution he/she wants?

Thanks a lot.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'll answer your questions first and then point you to some resources where you can learn more about CLM.

1. Both of those resolutions (0.9x1.25 and 1.9x2.5) are supported. You shouldn't have to create surface datasets for those resolutions.

2. There are other input datasets besides the atm forcing datasets that are different between these compsets (e.g., aerosol and nitrogen deposition, co2, etc.). You could create test cases with each of the compsets and examine the differences in the generated lnd namelists.

3. Yes, there are some fully spunup files that are provided for these compsets. They should show up in your lnd namelist (as finidat = ...). If interpolation of that file to your chosen grid is needed, setting use_Init_interp = .true. in your lnd namelist will do the interpolation at run time.

More generally, there are user resources for CLM5, including a User's Guide and tutorials, at: