Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Compiling CLM code on Darwin/Mac OS X machine

casch@mit_edu

To whom it may concern,

I and my colleagues here are attempting to compile CLM (currently V2.1) on a Mac G5 1.8 GHz (64-bit) dual processor running OS X/Darwin:

Darwin CEEPR8.MIT.EDU 7.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.7.0: Sun Nov 7 16:06:51 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.9.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

We have IBM XL Fortran compilers installed on this machine, and therefore we've attempted to use the default settings that are provided in the CLM compile logic script - but we are unable to successfully execute/complete the compile.

A little digging in the various Forum exchanges lead us to some discussion regarding the esmf libraries for Darwin systems - but our error log would seem to indicate that there is perhaps an additional conflict with the Fortran and/or C flags that are used.

Has there been any success within the User Groups in compiling CLM (or CAM or CCSM) on a Darwin/OS X system (with the IBM compiler or not)? If so, what sort of compiler options do we need? ... and should we be concerned about the esmf library as well?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Adam

boyle5@llnl_gov

OS X is supported in ESMF version 2.0 and higher but the CCSM ships with an older version.
Working with a very helpful person (whose name and email, I have lost) in the ESMF group I got a working version of the esmf that ships with CCSM on my OS X machine using the xlf compiler.
I was getting the single column model to work, but the clm should be the same.
I have a folder with all the esmf code for OS X (about 60MB). You are welcome to it, if you want it.
You could also contact the ESMF group, they were very helpful.

--Jim

jwolfe

Hi Adam,

I'm the ESMF Application and Support lead. If you could please send a message to with a little more information, we'll make sure we get this issue figured out and get you running. Thanks,

Jon