Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Converting from Hybrid Model Levels to Pressure Levels without Surface Pressure (PS)?

lnzhang

Lily
Describe your problem or question:
I recently ran CESM 2.1.5 using the F1850 compset with daily output for certain 3D variables (e.g., HEIGHT, U, V, UT, VT). I'm trying to convert the datasets to pressure levels for analysis, but realizing now that I didn't specify daily output of PS in the namelist file for the daily output frequency. I also don't have pressure P at each level saved so am unable to back out the surface pressure that way. Is there any way I can still interpolate my data or am I stuck with the model levels? I do have the monthly PS values, but not sure how accurate using them would be. Maybe there's some way I could use the geopotential height information?