Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Cooling of Aquaplanet slab ocean model

Sreerag

Sreerag
Hey,
I am running a simulation of QSC6 compset with no qfluxes and 60m mixed layer depth. I found that the global mean TS drops so quickly and attain 0.5(approx) degrees celsius at 30 years run. I am not using an active sea ice also. Is there is any initialisation for sea ice is causing the error? I believe without sea ice the model should run with a more warmer global mean TS. I think there is presence of Ice albedo feedback making this issue. Can anyone comment on it?

Thanks in advance
Sreerag

brianpm

The QSC6 configuration will have no sea ice by default (the sea ice model is **not** used). With zero q-flux, the polar regions will get very cold (not much insolation). Since there is no sea ice, we allow the slab ocean temperature to go below the freezing point.

If you turn on the thermodynamic sea ice, you will likely end up in a snowball climate with ice extent reaching to pretty low latitudes.

With or without sea ice, I think the way to keep the global mean surface temperature warmer is to provide a q-flux that moves energy poleward.