Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

create_newcase Could not find machine match

sergioibarra

Sergio Ibarra-Espinosa
Hello,

I tried to create a new case for CESM 2.2 (Cam-Chem - MUSICA V0 https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/MUSICA/MUSICA+version+0 ). When I run create_newcase, the script could not find the machine file:

python --version
Python 3.8.3

(base) [sibarra@baal scripts]$ ./create_newcase --compset FCnudged --res ne0CONUSne30x8_ne0CONUSne30x8_mt12 --case /p1-baal/sibarra/teste1
Compset longname is HIST_CAM60%CCTS1%NUDG_CLM50%SP_CICE%PRES_DOCN%DOM_MOSART_SGLC_SWAV
Compset specification file is /p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam//cime_config/config_compsets.xml
Automatically adding SIAC to compset
Automatically adding SESP to compset
Warning: missing non-idmap ROF2OCN_FMAPNAME for rof_grid, r05 and ocn_grid ne0np4CONUS.ne30x8
Compset forcing is Historic transient
ATM component is CAM cam6 physics:CAM-Chem troposphere/stratosphere chemistry with simplified VBS-SOA:
LND component is clm5.0:Satellite phenology:
ICE component is Sea ICE (cice) model version 5 :prescribed cice
OCN component is DOCN prescribed ocean mode
ROF component is MOSART: MOdel for Scale Adaptive River Transport
GLC component is Stub glacier (land ice) component
WAV component is Stub wave component
IAC component is Stub iac component
ESP component is Stub external system processing (ESP) component
Pes specification file is /p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam//cime_config/config_pes.xml
Compset specific settings: name is RUN_STARTDATE and value is 2013-01-01
Compset specific settings: name is CALENDAR and value is GREGORIAN
Compset specific settings: name is SSTICE_DATA_FILENAME and value is $DIN_LOC_ROOT/atm/cam/sst/sst_HadOIBl_bc_1x1_1850_2017_c180507.nc
Compset specific settings: name is SSTICE_GRID_FILENAME and value is $DIN_LOC_ROOT/ocn/docn7/domain.ocn.1x1.111007.nc
Compset specific settings: name is SSTICE_YEAR_END and value is 2016
Compset specific settings: name is RUN_TYPE and value is hybrid
Compset specific settings: name is RUN_REFCASE and value is f.e22.FCnudged.ne0CONUSne30x8_ne0CONUSne30x8_mt12.cesm2_2_alpha06b.001
Compset specific settings: name is RUN_REFDATE and value is 2013-01-01
Compset specific settings: name is CLM_NAMELIST_OPTS and value is use_init_interp=.true.
Could not find machine match for 'baal.varal.iag.usp.br' or 'baal'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./create_newcase", line 243, in <module>
_main_func(__doc__)
File "./create_newcase", line 230, in _main_func
case.create(casename, srcroot, compset, grid, user_mods_dir=user_mods_dir,
File "/p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/case.py", line 1634, in create
self.configure(compset_name, grid_name, machine_name=machine_name,
File "/p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/case.py", line 963, in configure
machobj = Machines(machine=machine_name, extra_machines_dir=extra_machines_dir)
File "/p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/XML/machines.py", line 74, in __init__
GenericXML.read(self, local_infile, schema)
File "/p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/XML/generic_xml.py", line 101, in read
with file_open(infile) as fd:
File "/p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/XML/generic_xml.py", line 100, in <lambda>
file_open = (lambda x: open(x, 'r', encoding='utf-8')) if six.PY3 else (lambda x: open(x, 'r'))
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/p1-baal/sibarra/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/config/e3sm/machines/config_machines.xml'

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
So the machine match is determined by a regular expression field in the config_machines.xml file, that field
is NODENAME_REGEX and it should match the string baal.varal.iag.usp.br. I suspect something like
<NODENAME_REGEX>*.iag.usp.br</NODENAME_REGEX> might work. You can also avoid this message by identifying the machine on the command line with the argument --machine $MACH where $MACH is the field in <machine MACH="whatyoucallit">