Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Crop residues

Chr

Christian Dold
All:
My question concerns crop residues and the litter pool. As I have understood, at harvest the offset period is initialized, which triggers the shift of biomass to the litterpool.

I wonder, does the total biomass convert to litter at one timestep, or is this a gradual process over several time steps (dt)?

Another question connected to it:

Usually in agriculture not all of the aboveground biomass stays in field, but is transported from the field (e.g. silage corn, wheat stubble remains in field, but straw is removed). Is there a possibility in CLM5 to handle this situation, sth. like stemc_to_food, or a parameter in the params file to adjust?

Thanks for your help.

Christian

dll@ucar_edu

Danica Lombardozzi
Hi Christian,

To answer your questions:

The crop biomass does convert to litter during a single time step when harvest is triggered.

The capability to remove stem and leaf residue from the field is currently under development, but has not yet been incorporated into the main code.

Danica