Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CTSM/FATES Start+count exceeds dimension bound

ceyang

ceyang
Hi,

I am trying to run CTSM with FATES at a single point in Siberia. I intend to use 1901-1930 GSWP3 data for 300-year spinup simulations. My case was set and modified as

./create_newcase --case Site1 --res f09_g16 --compset I2000Clm50FatesRs --run-unsupported
./xmlchange ROOTPE=0,PTS_MODE=TRUE,PTS_LAT=72.5354,PTS_LON=102.2782
./xmlchange MPILIB=mpi-serial,NTASKS=1
./xmlchange CLM_ACCELERATED_SPINUP="on",STOP_OPTION=nyears,STOP_N=50,DOUT_S=FALSE
./xmlchange CLM_FORCE_COLDSTART=on,RUN_TYPE=startup,RUN_STARTDATE=0001-01-01

The initial run for 50 years finished successfully. However, when I tried to submit the second 50-year run (CONTINUE_RUN=TRUE), the case failed with an error message "NetCDF: Start+count exceeds dimension bound". I searched online resources and it seems to be due to corrupted restart files. The log file is attached.

I also tested a global run with the same settings (with the default MPI and PE layout) and it was able to continue the previous run without any issues.

Since the computing resource is about 5800:1 for a global run to a single-point run, I would like to run my case at a single-point scale. Can anyone please suggest/advise a solution to this issue? Thanks!

YCE

Attachments

• user_datm.streams.txt.CLMGSWP3v1.Solar.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 1
  • user_nl_clm.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 4
  • user_nl_datm.txt
    1 KB · Views: 1
  • cesm.log.9260817.chadmin1.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu.210705-122552.txt
    20.5 KB · Views: 6

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
YCE

One of the limitations of PTS_MODE is that you can't restart or startup from spunup initial conditions. So you either need to run your simulation in one go at that site, or create a surface dataset for your single point site. There are a few suggested ways to do that in the CLM User's Guide.