Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

depths on the supergrid

ezaron

Ed Zaron
Hi MOM6 Enthusiasts:

I have a (logically-rectangular) global tripolar supergrid. And I have a separate file with ocean depth at the cell-centers.

How is the depth computed at the cell-faces (u and v points) for use in the continuity equation and momentum equations? Does there exist an option to input depth at all nodes of the supergrid so that the depths at u and v nodes could be specified independently?

-Ed

MOM6 does not have a way to input depths other than at cell centers. Are you hoping to follow the true bumpy bathymetry at a higher resolution? It would probably break the continuity solver or some such thing, which assumes smooth shapes for bathymetry within a grid cell.

ezaron

Ed Zaron
Thanks, Kate. On an Arakawa C-grid, the depth ought to only be needed on the U- and V-nodes, at least for a simple barotropic solver, so I was curious if there was a way to separately prescribe the depths of these nodes from the input files (such as by using the "supergrid" file).

adcroft

Alistair Adcroft
He Wang is close to finishing the implementation of porous barriers which includes a bathymetry specific to the u- and v-points. But as Kate says, at this time the grid is based on h-cells. The supergrid is at twice the resolution solely to describe the grid without redundancy (it avoids naming 20+ metric and coordinate variables at the native resolution).