Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

diagnostic radiative forcing

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
Hi there,
I'm confused about how could I diagnostic radiative forcing. Take black carbon as an example. I know I need to remove the bc file in the variable "mode_refs". However, I don't know weather I should remove the bc file in the variable "ext_frc_specifier". Could someone tell me the function of the bc files in these variables? Any reply would be appreciated! Thanks.

AshaJain

Asha Jain
I believe the file defined in mode_defs - 'A:bc_a4:N:bc_c4:black-c:/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/physprops/bcpho_rrtmg_c100508.nc' defines the physical properties of black carbon. However, the ext_frc_specifier - "emissions-cmip6_bc_a4_aircraft_vertical_1750-2015_1.9x2.5_c20170608.nc" actually determines the amount of black carbon emissions. So I think you'll want to remove the ext_frc_specifier file.

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
I believe the file defined in mode_defs - 'A:bc_a4:N:bc_c4:black-c:/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/physprops/bcpho_rrtmg_c100508.nc' defines the physical properties of black carbon. However, the ext_frc_specifier - "emissions-cmip6_bc_a4_aircraft_vertical_1750-2015_1.9x2.5_c20170608.nc" actually determines the amount of black carbon emissions. So I think you'll want to remove the ext_frc_specifier file.
Thanks a lot! Your reply is really clear.

AshaJain

Asha Jain
Thanks a lot! Your reply is really clear.
Hi again! I just learned that you may also need to remove content in num_a4 in ext_frc_specifer. At least when you try to increase an aerosol emission you need to specify a mass and number, so I imagine when you want to remove an aerosol emission you need to remove both the mass and number.

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
Hi again! I just learned that you may also need to remove content in num_a4 in ext_frc_specifer. At least when you try to increase an aerosol emission you need to specify a mass and number, so I imagine when you want to remove an aerosol emission you need to remove both the mass and number.
I tried it. And I also remove bc in "the mode_defs". There are differences between these two tests. Do you know the reason?

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
Can you clarify which two tests you ran?
1. remove the bc file in the "ext_frc_specifier" and "srf_emis_specifier"
2. remove the bc file in the "mode_defs"
I compared the FLNT in the first test history file to the FLNT_d1 in the second history file. They are different.

AshaJain

Asha Jain
1. remove the bc file in the "ext_frc_specifier" and "srf_emis_specifier"
2. remove the bc file in the "mode_defs"
I compared the FLNT in the first test history file to the FLNT_d1 in the second history file. They are different.
I am not sure. This is above my current level of understanding. You may need to reach out to one of the cesm liaisons.