Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Difference in h and q points in MOM.res.in

abhisekc

Abhisek Chatterjee
Hi all,

I have recently noticed that there is an extra grid point for the "q" location than the "h" location in the restart files. For example, the dimensions of a restart file from a global MOM6 test simulation are shown as below:

netcdf MOM.res {
dimensions:
lath = 210 ;
lonh = 360 ;
latq = 211 ;
lonq = 361 ;
Layer = 63 ;

Note that there is an extra point for lonq and latq compared to it's tracer points.

However, in a different HPC, I didn't find any difference between lonh and lonq (and in lath and latq).

I believe this difference has something to do with how the MOM6 is built in a specific HPC. Can someone please suggest how to build the MOM6 so that q points and h points remain identical?

Thanks,
Abhisek

You have somehow switched from non-symmetric mode to symmetric mode. Yes, it is in how MOM6 is
compiled, or rather linked. How are you compiling? Search for "dynamic_symmetric".
For global simulations it really doesn't matter, but all the regional domains have to be in symmetric mode.

You want to link to files under $(MOM6)/config_src/memory/dynamic_nonsymmetric
not those under $(MOM6)/config_src/memory/dynamic_symmetric

abhisekc

Abhisek Chatterjee
Dear kate,

Thanks for the response. Yes, switching to nonsymmetric worked.

Best,
Abhisek