Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Different number of CPU lead to different result

scs_wy@yahoo_cn

Hi everyone
I run CCSM3 for a few days and I find something strange.
my cluster is HP SuperDom.
I do two same control run with different CPU(64 and 104) number but keep the same inverse ratio of each modle(atm 25% ocn 50% ice 6% lnd 13% cpl 6%).I find there is apparente difference on some variable。For example the SST has 0.5-2℃ difference on the two tests.
I guess different reselutions(atm and ocn) lead to the difference.
somebody can tell me why?
thanks

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
CCSM3 release code is not bit-for-bit due to the ocean (pop) code not being reproducible on varying numbers of processors. When you say there are SST differences of 1-2K, if that is over a few weeks or months, then that is ok as it could be divergence of an ENSO event or meandering of the gulf stream. If this is for many years though then that is a concern.