Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Does core dump file really tell anything useful?

Still trying to run down segmentation fault source. I find this in my core_lite files:

__diagnostics_NMOD_diag_physvar_ic : 758 # in file
physpkg@OL@1 : 139 # in file
# At location 0x090000000399e164 but procedure information unavailable.
# At location 0x090000000399a958 but procedure information unavailable.
physpkg : 135 # in file
stepon : 228 # in file
cam : 241 # in file

Here's what those lines are:
1. cwat_var => pbuf(ifld)%fld_ptr(1,1:pcols,1:pver,lchnk,itim)
2. call diag_physvar_ic ( c, pbuf )
3. do c=begchunk, endchunk
4. call physpkg(phys_state, gw, ztodt, phys_tend, pbuf)
5. call stepon ()

So it looks like it's having trouble writing or reading QCWAT somewhere? Or is this another useless message that has nothing to do with the actual problem?

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
I've seen this problem before. Which machine are you running on
which code base are you using?

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
Yep, apparently this is a problem with the current compiler version on bluevista.
I think if you move to blueice, it should work.

Yes! It actually worked! I can't believe how much time I've spent trying to get it running, and all I had to do was switch machines.

Thanks so much for your help, Richard. Seems I'll be able to keep all my hair for now. ;) Maybe this is something that can be noted on the CAM download page? The version 3.1.p2 specifically says it's supposed to be for running on bluevista...

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
Yep, it did run on bluevista until they recently upgraded the xlf compiler. Hopefully they will fix the problem before they do the same upgrade on blueice!