Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Does hybrid continue run need spin-up?

sunweihao

19970130SWh
Dear scientists,
I am running an AGCM experiment with compsets F2000Climo. I have already run 10 years to spin-up. Based on the 10th year restart files and initial condition, I tried to run ensemble experiments for 1 year. In previous attempts, I set RUN_TYPE=branch and edit the pertlim in user_nl_cam to add perturbation. But I found that the different experiments' output is the same.
I think that I have to set have Run_TYPE to hybrid and perform ensemble experiments but I have question:

The initial and restart file is the 10th year output, in which the model has experience spin-up and reach stable. When I hybrid run, should I spinup again? In other words, whether the first year output in the hybrid run is available? Thank you.

Regrads

altuntas

Alper Altuntas
Staff member
@hannay can correct me but I believe that pertlim works only for initial simulations and not for hybrid runs. You should also add a different pertlim value for each ensemble member.

kezhoulumelody

Kezhou Lu
Hi there, I have a similar question related to hybrid run.

If I have a control run and I want to do an abrupt4xCO2 experiment. What's the difference between an abrupt4xCO2 branch run and an abrupt4xCO2 hybrid run? Say I set the $RUN_REFDATE in the hybrid run same as the date I start the branch run. Imagine both abrupt4xCO2 branch experiment and abrupt4xCO2 hybrid experiment run for 30 years. Are the 30-year averaged changes more or less similar in both experiments? What about the results averaged in the first month?

Thanks,

Melody