Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Energy imbalance in SCAM

WYW

Yuwei
Hi,

I'm using SCAM5.3 (CESM1.2.2) to study the climate change.
I output the IOP files from CAM at each timestep. SCAM5.3 could reproduce the identical result of CAM.

When I add the perturbation, say double the CO2, I find the energy is not balanced at TOA. I have run the simulation for 30 years. The surface temperature is steady. The heating rates are balanced. There is a steady imbalanced radiative flux at TOA. The imbalance varies with different grids, either positive or negative.

I'm wondering if this imbalance is a bug in CAM5.3 or I did something wrong. I notice an energy fixer is used in CAM but the fixer is not included in SCAM.

Could someone give me some clues? What about the energy balance in SCAM6?

Thanks,

David

islas

I expect there are others who will have a better answer than me, but one question is, do you have the temperature relaxation on? i.e., scm_relaxation = .true. and T in scm_relax_fincl?

WYW

Yuwei
I expect there are others who will have a better answer than me, but one question is, do you have the temperature relaxation on? i.e., scm_relaxation = .true. and T in scm_relax_fincl?
No. I don't have the relaxation. The temperature is free to adjust.