Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error during regional simulation startup

Yotor

Yotor Samuel
Hello everyone,

I am attempting a startup run for a regional simulation using CESM2.1.5 with the following compset:
HIST_CAM60_CLM50%SP_CICE%PRES_DOCN%DOM_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV
and resolution: f05_f05_mg17.

The model is set up to run on my machine configuration and it has been tested successfully with other compsets.

For this run, I generated the regional surface dataset, land-use time series, and domain files from the global datasets using the tools/site_and_regional script in the CTSM model. I also specified the regional grid latitude/longitude dimensions for ATM_NX, ATM_NY, LND_NX, and LND_NY in the env_build.xml file.

However, after submitting the run, the following error appeared in the cesm.log file:

MCT::m_Router::initp_: GSMap indices not increasing...Will correct

(seq_map_gsmapcheck)gsmap global sizes different 12610 221184

ERROR: (seq_map_gsmapcheck) different gsmap size

I have searched the forum but couldn’t find the cause of this error. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Log files are attached.

Thanks,

Attachments

• atm.log.txt
    367.1 KB · Views: 1
  • cesm.log.txt
    83.2 KB · Views: 1
  • env_build.txt
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • env_run.txt
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • lnd.log.txt
    89.7 KB · Views: 0

slevis

Am I interpreting correctly that you are attempting a coupled CAM6-CLM5 simulation over a non-global domain? I do not think that you can do that. You should be able to run over a regional domain in land-only mode but not coupled. Others, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yotor

Yotor Samuel
Thank you so much for your response, Slevis.

Yes, you are right. I am working on a coupled CAM6-CLM5 simulation over a specific region to assess the effects of changes in the leaf area index (LAI) on various climate variables. So far, I have successfully run the FHIST case at a half-degree resolution across the global domain using the existing global datasets.

However, I would like to replicate this case at the same resolution for a user-defined region (e.g., Eastern Africa). I have already generated the surface, land use datasets, and domain files by extracting data from the global datasets. When I try running the model, I encounter the error I described in my initial post.

I am hoping to get advice on how to resolve this issue during the model run so I can continue analyzing the LAI impact on climate variables. Is there a way to execute the FHIST case at half-degree resolution over a user-defined region?

I appreciate your insights and look forward to your response.

slevis

You can try IHist, but I still think that you cannot run FHist with a regional domain.

Again, others please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yotor

Yotor Samuel
Thank you for the response, Slevis! I will explore this further and run a simulation based on your suggestion.