Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ERROR: expected one child, during creating a new case

Fuhow

Fu Hao
Hello
I was troubled in porting CESM on a new server, since I was following the tutorial from Yonas (Installing, Porting & Running Community Earth System Model). But one error occurred since I started creating the new case, as shown below:

fuhao@tian-09:~/cesm/cime/scripts$ ./create_newcase --case /home/fuhao/cesm/scratch/test --compset QPC4 --res f45_f45_mg37 --run-unsupported
Compset longname is 2000_CAM40_SLND_SICE_DOCN%AQP3_SROF_SGLC_SWAV
Compset specification file is /home/fuhao/cesm/cime/../components/cam//cime_config/config_compsets.xml
Compset forcing is 1972-2004
ATM component is CAM cam4 physics:
LND component is Stub land component
ICE component is Stub ice component
OCN component is DOCN analytic aquaplanet sst - option 3
ROF component is Stub river component
GLC component is Stub glacier (land ice) component
WAV component is Stub wave component
ESP component is
Pes specification file is /home/fuhao/cesm/cime/../components/cam//cime_config/config_pes.xml
Compset specific settings: name is SSTICE_DATA_FILENAME and value is $DIN_LOC_ROOT/atm/cam/sst/sst_HadOIBl_bc_1x1_2000climo_c180511.nc
Machine is tian-09
ERROR: Expected one child

I also checked the question from mc Zhao (ERROR: Expected one child), but it's not suitable for my error, and I even don't know where this error oringed from.

So, please give me some advice on solving this problem, the files for machine and compilers defining are attached.

Attachments

• config_compilers.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 4
  • config_machines.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 4

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think there is an error in your XML files. Although when I looked at them I didn't see an obvious error. But, I recommend for example using the UNIX tool "xmllint" to see if the XML is valid. There might also be a problem with your file following our standard, so if the XML is valid, you should also use our XSD
files which are under "cime/CIME/data/config/xml_schemas/" for recent versions of the model.

Some additional help on porting CESM is in the cime documentation here:

Fuhow

Fu Hao
I think there is an error in your XML files. Although when I looked at them I didn't see an obvious error. But, I recommend for example using the UNIX tool "xmllint" to see if the XML is valid. There might also be a problem with your file following our standard, so if the XML is valid, you should also use our XSD
files which are under "cime/CIME/data/config/xml_schemas/" for recent versions of the model.

Some additional help on porting CESM is in the cime documentation here:

Dear Erik, thanks for your suggestion.

I keep checking the .xml file through the .xsd file each time I have corrected the .xml file. I reconfirmed the config_compilers.xml file, and it won't work while I set the variables' path started with $HOME, even under the circumstance that I had defined the $HOME in the bash, it went on after I set the full path.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
OK, if I understand what you are saying you got it to work if you use a full path, but using "$HOME" as a variable in the xml file didn't. I actually wouldn't expect it to be able to use $HOME in this context, so I think you will have to provide the whole path here.

majiantao

majiantao
OK, if I understand what you are saying you got it to work if you use a full path, but using "$HOME" as a variable in the xml file didn't. I actually wouldn't expect it to be able to use $HOME in this context, so I think you will have to provide the whole path here.
[jtma@mgmt scripts]$ ./create_newcase --case ./cases/test --res f09_g17 --compset I1850Clm40CnGswGs --mach mgmt
Compset longname is 1850_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM40%CN_SICE_SOCN_RTM_SGLC_SWAV
Compset specification file is /share/home/jtma/cesm2.1.3/cime/../components/clm//cime_config/config_compsets.xml
Compset forcing is 1850
ATM component is Data driven ATM GSWP3v1 data set
LND component is clm4.0:CN: Carbon Nitrogen model
ICE component is Stub ice component
OCN component is Stub ocn component
ROF component is RTM: River Transport Model
GLC component is Stub glacier (land ice) component
WAV component is Stub wave component
ESP component is
Pes specification file is /share/home/jtma/cesm2.1.3/cime/../components/clm//cime_config/config_pes.xml
Machine is mgmt
ERROR: Expected one child
I met the same problem during creating the case,I can not solve it.Please see my atttached files.Thanks.

Attachments

• config_compilers.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 1
  • config_machines.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 1