Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ERROR: GLACIER_REGION NOT on surfdata file

dayon

Dear Scientists

In order to simulate the regional runoff and streamflow, I cut the domain file and surface data file based on provide 0.125x0.125 domains and surfdata_map by using the clm tools "getregional_datasets.pl"
the provided orignal files are as follows:
domain.lnd.0.125x0.125_tx0.1v2.140704.nc
surfdata_0.125x0.125_simyr2000_c150114.nc

I cut the region with the 102E-108E, 23-28N. The domain and surface nc file is generated successful!

However, when I run the CESM2.1.3 with the compset named "I2000Clm50SpGs", which is descriped "SGLC Stub glacier (land ice) component", which means that the glacier should be stubbed. But when typing "case.submit", Errors occurs

the error log shows that
ERROR: ERROR: GLACIER_REGION NOT on surfdata file
ERROR in /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/components/clm/src/main/glcBehaviorMod.F90 at line 662

It is so strange, the glacier is stubbed, why the surface file need GLACIER_REGION?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This post here indicates that you need the GLACIER_REGION variable regardless of whether or not you are running with CISM:

So, you will need to subset a newer surface dataset that has GLACIER_REGION on it.

dayon

This post here indicates that you need the GLACIER_REGION variable regardless of whether or not you are running with CISM:

So, you will need to subset a newer surface dataset that has GLACIER_REGION on it.

Dear Olosen, I cut the highest spatial resolution surface data provided in the repository. surfdata_0.125x0.125_16pfts_simyr2000_c151014.nc. But there isn't GLACIER_REGION variable in it.

How to subset a newer surface dataset that has GLACIER_REGION?

dayon

I tried to add the GLACIER_REGION variable to the surfdata.nc file. I am sure that there is no glacier in my study, so I set the GLACIER_REGION variable to zero and add it into surfdata.nc file. However, it still reported error :

ERROR: ERROR in /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/components/clm/src/main/surfrdUtilsMod.F90 at line 70
sum is: 1.1576044285695568E-312

It made me confused.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't see a newer 0.125 surface dataset with GLACIER_REGION on it in our repository, so you'll need to create one yourself using a recent version of the mksurfdata tool (e.g., cesm2.1.3) and specify the 0.125x0.125 resolution.

dayon

Oleson, Thanks for your reply. I’m afraid that our computer does not have enough memory to process the global surface data with 0.125x0.125 resolution. It is so large. Could you please help us? It is believed that this surface data is needed for many researchers.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I've created one using release-clm5.0.34 and put it on our ftp site:

ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
/ftp/pub/oleson/dayon/surfdata_0.125x0.125_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2005_c210622.nc

huo

huo
I don't see a newer 0.125 surface dataset with GLACIER_REGION on it in our repository, so you'll need to create one yourself using a recent version of the mksurfdata tool (e.g., cesm2.1.3) and specify the 0.125x0.125 resolution.
Hello, I would like to ask if the surface data I made using CLM4.5 did not have GLACIER_REGION?
Because I tried to use the surface data and domain files made by CLM4.5 to run a single point on CLM5.0(I haven't installed ESMF for the time being, and the surface data and domain files comes from my classmates).
The mode shows the same error: GLACIER_REGION NOT on surfdata fileERROR in glcBehaviorMod.F90 at line

dayon

Hello, I would like to ask if the surface data I made using CLM4.5 did not have GLACIER_REGION?
Because I tried to use the surface data and domain files made by CLM4.5 to run a single point on CLM5.0(I haven't installed ESMF for the time being, and the surface data and domain files comes from my classmates).
The mode shows the same error: GLACIER_REGION NOT on surfdata fileERROR in glcBehaviorMod.F90 at line
you can view the surfdata nc file by the command "ncdump -h xxx.nc | grep GLACIER_REGION_ID"

Lian Gong

Lian Gong
I've created one using release-clm5.0.34 and put it on our ftp site:

ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
/ftp/pub/oleson/dayon/surfdata_0.125x0.125_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2005_c210622.
Hello,I tried to download it ,but it seems that you have unshared.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Well, yes, that was two years ago and our ftp site is scrubbed every couple of weeks.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I didn't save the original so I made a new one:

ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/oleson/surfdata_0.125x0.125_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2005_c230311.nc

Lian Gong

Lian Gong
I didn't save the original so I made a new one:

ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/oleson/surfdata_0.125x0.125_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2005_c230311.nc
Dear Oleson, I am so sorry to bother you again! I cut the domain file and surface data file based on the domain.lnd.0.125x0.125_tx0.1v2.140704.nc
and the surfadata you shared, when I ran a case in cesm2.2.0 it reported an error:
UrbanInput: parameter nlevurb= 5
does not equal input dataset nlevurb= 10
ENDRUN:
ERROR: ERROR in UrbanParamsType.F90 at line 479

The surfadata above has 10 urban types.I supposed that because the version I used was cesm2.2.0-0-g332937b(the clm tag is release-cesm2.2.01).But when I ran it in clm5.0.35 the same error occurs.
Emmm...I do not know what the problem is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry, I had made a change in that code to use the newer urban dataset which used 10 layers for each urban column instead of 5. You can make a change to this module:

src/main/clm_varpar.F90

Change nlevurb from 5 to 10, e.g.,

!KO nlevurb = 5
!KO
nlevurb = 10
!KO

Lian Gong

Lian Gong
Sorry, I had made a change in that code to use the newer urban dataset which used 10 layers for each urban column instead of 5. You can make a change to this module:

src/main/clm_varpar.F90

Change nlevurb from 5 to 10, e.g.,

!KO nlevurb = 5
!KO
nlevurb = 10
!KO
Thank you every much ! I made this change and it ran successfully