Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error in running case of CESM1.2.2

QuenTin_YEUNG

QuenTin
Hello guys. There is an error when I ran a case about paleoclimate of 200Ma using CESM1.2.2. The resolution is f02_16 and the compset is B1850.
When the case was run, there was a error below:

Opened existing file
/BIGDATA2/sysu_shicf_1/CESM_inputdata/201Ma/cpl/domain.lnd.0.23x0.31_g1.231227.
nc 393216
NetCDF: Invalid dimension ID or name
NetCDF: Variable not found
Opened existing file
/BIGDATA2/sysu_shicf_1/paleoToolkit-master/cesm1_2/lnd/surfdata_0.23x0.31_201Ma
.c240104.nc 393216
Opened existing file
/BIGDATA1/app/CESM_inputdata/lnd/clm2/pftdata/pft-physiology.clm40.c130424.nc
Opened existing file
/BIGDATA2/sysu_shicf_1/paleoToolkit-master/cesm1_2/lnd/surfdata_0.23x0.31_201Ma
.c240104.nc 393216
surfrd_get_data: surfdata/fatmgrid lon/lat mismatch error
0.000000000000000E+000 5.867014341593801E-002
ENDRUN:surfrd_get_data
ENDRUN:surfrd_get_data

My sets followed the recipe "PaleoToolkit Documentation for Deeptime CESM1.2" but the resolution was set in 0.23x0.31. And ocn, lnd, cpl, atm and rof were set up successfully. But the error implies that there is something wrong with surfdata_0.23x0.31_201Ma.c240104.nc and domain.lnd.0.23x0.31_g1.231227.nc.
I don't know how to solve the problem and this error breaks me down successfully.
Sincerely hope to get your help! Best wishes!

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is a CTSM issue, so I'll move this post into the forum to get the most eyes on your question.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The error means that the lat/lon coordinate information in the surface dataset and the domain file don't agree within some tolerance (1e-3 according to the code). From the dates on those files I assume you've created them yourself (from the paleo toolkit?). I don't know anything about the paleo toolkit so you might post on the paleoclimate forum. One workaround would be to decide which file has the correct coordinates and replace the coordinates in the other file...

QuenTin_YEUNG

QuenTin
The error means that the lat/lon coordinate information in the surface dataset and the domain file don't agree within some tolerance (1e-3 according to the code). From the dates on those files I assume you've created them yourself (from the paleo toolkit?). I don't know anything about the paleo toolkit so you might post on the paleoclimate forum. One workaround would be to decide which file has the correct coordinates and replace the coordinates in the other file...
Yes, these files is made by myself from the paleo toolkit, because I want to get paleoclimate of 200Ma. Some time ago, I read a post about surfdata/fatmgrid lon/lat mismatch error, which is the same error. it said this mismatch maybe can be changed in the file surfrdMod.F90. I want to ask whether this lon/lat maximum difference can be modified

This post is below:

QuenTin_YEUNG

QuenTin
Also, I put surfdata and domain data into ArcGIS, the coordinate information of them is same (lon: -0.5 ~ 1151.5 and lat: -0.5 ~ 767.5, the resolution is 0.23x0.31 and version is CESM1.2). So I don't think the error is a coordinate problem (maybe is about coordinate but I'm already confused)

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I would do an ncdump on the coordinates on the two files to see if they agree or not. But the code is saying that they do not. So you'll have to fix one or the other. The post you mentioned resolved the problem by using a different? option when generating the domain file. For questions on the paleo toolkit, try posting on the paleoclimate forum, maybe someone has a solution for it.

QuenTin_YEUNG

QuenTin
I would do an ncdump on the coordinates on the two files to see if they agree or not. But the code is saying that they do not. So you'll have to fix one or the other. The post you mentioned resolved the problem by using a different? option when generating the domain file. For questions on the paleo toolkit, try posting on the paleoclimate forum, maybe someone has a solution for it.
Thanks a lot! Now I post it on the paleoclimate forum :)