Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error in running MOM6 SeaIce (SIS2)

caskaus

Kaushik
Hi everyone,

I am trying to run a case in the Indian Ocean with coupled SeaIce physics. Unfortunately, I ran into an error which says:

```
FATAL from PE 14: Oops!! It looks like you are trying to use sea-ice ridging but did not include the Icepack (https://github.com/CICE-Consortium/Icepack)source code repository in your compilation procedure, and are instead using the default stub routine contained in config_src/external. Adjust your compilation accordingly.
```

I initialized the problem by prescribing "Sea Ice Thickness", "Sea Ice Concentration" and "Snow Fall". I have checked my SIS2 installation file as per the "icepack" GitHub repository and it looks fine. I have also installed the necessary coupled MOM6 sis2 configurations as mentioned in the "MOM6-examples" GitHub repository.

I will be grateful if anyone can help me regarding the same.

Thanking you,

Kaushik

marshallward

Marshall Ward
In your SIS2 Makefile, SIS2/config_src/external/Icepack_interfaces should not appear. Instead, you need to include the path to your Icepack source directory.

You may be following instructions to build the GFDL model, which does not use Icepack. Possibly the `list_paths` command, which selects the directories to be compiled.

Code:
../../src/mkmf/bin/list_paths -l ./ ../../src/MOM6/config_src/{infra/FMS1,memory/dynamic_symmetric,drivers/FMS_cap,external} ../../src/SIS2/config_src/dynamic_symmetric ../../src/MOM6/src/{*,*/*}/ ../../src/{atmos_null,coupler,land_null,ice_param,icebergs/src,SIS2,FMS/coupler,FMS/include}/)

Unfortunately, so many directories have been packed into this line that it is hard to see what is happening. In this case, ../../src/SIS2 is also adding ../../src/SIS2/config_src/external/Icepack_interfaces, which is overriding whatever steps you might have taken to include Icepack.

You will need to extract out ../../src/SIS2 from this blob of paths and add something like ../../src/SIS2/src, then add the path to your Icepack source. After that, rebuild the model and check the output Makefiles to see if Icepack has been correctly included.

----

You may be doing something different, but the one thing that is clear is that you are calling code in SIS2/config_src/external/Icepack_interfaces/, which should not be in your model if you are using Icepack. Hopefully this helps.