Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

"ERROR: LVD not found, all data is after yearLast"

samrabin

Sam Rabin
I'm trying to add a new input file that has a time axis but currently just one timestep (2000-01-01). This works fine for a case/run beginning in 2000, but not for a case beginning in 1850. For example, if I want to start a run in 1975, I'm setting the start date to 1975-01-01, but then seemingly no combination of 1975 and 2000 here will work:

Code:
stream_fldFileName_sdate = '/glade/u/home/samrabin/crop_dates/sdates_ggcmi_crop_calendar_phase3_v1.01_nninterp-f10_f10_mg37.2000-2000.nc
stream_year_first_cropcal = 2000
stream_year_last_cropcal = 2000
model_year_align_cropcal = 2000

(I implemented these variables based on similar ones for LAI.) I had it working before, but after merging in the latest master, now I get the following log and error in the land log file:
Code:
(shr_strdata_print) ----------------------------------------------------------
(shr_strdata_print) name        = sowing date data
(shr_strdata_print) calendar    = NO_LEAP
(shr_strdata_print) eccen       =  1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) mvelpp      =  1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) lambm0      =  1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) obliqr      =  1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) pio_iotype  =      1
(shr_strdata_print) nstreams    =      1
(shr_strdata_print) nvectors    =      0
(shr_strdata_print)   taxMode ( 1) = cycle
(shr_strdata_print)   dtlimit ( 1) =  1.500000E+00
(shr_strdata_print)   mapalgo ( 1) = nn
(shr_strdata_print)   tintalgo( 1) = nearest
(shr_strdata_print)   readmode( 1) = single
(shr_strdata_print)   vectors ( 1) = null
(shr_strdata_print)
(shr_strdata_print) ----------------------------------------------------------
  successfully initialized sdat
(shr_strdata_readstrm) opening   : /glade/u/home/samrabin/crop_dates/sdates_ggcmi_crop_calendar_phase3_v1.01_nninterp-f10_f10_mg37.2000-2000.nc
(shr_strdata_readstrm) setting pio descriptor : /glade/u/home/samrabin/crop_dates/sdates_ggcmi_crop_calendar_phase3_v1.01_nninterp-f10_f10_mg37.2000-2000.nc
(shr_strdata_set_stream_iodesc) setting iodesc for : sdate1_17 with dimlens(1), dimlens(2) =       24        19   variable as time dimension time
(shr_strdata_readstrm) reading file lb: /glade/u/home/samrabin/crop_dates/sdates_ggcmi_crop_calendar_phase3_v1.01_nninterp-f10_f10_mg37.2000-2000.nc       1
(shr_strdata_readstrm) reading file ub: /glade/u/home/samrabin/crop_dates/sdates_ggcmi_crop_calendar_phase3_v1.01_nninterp-f10_f10_mg37.2000-2000.nc       1
(shr_stream_findBounds) ERROR: LVD not found, all data is after yearLast
 ERROR: (shr_stream_findBounds) ERROR: LVD not found, all data is after yearLast

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
From your description everything looks right to me. What I wonder about is if the error is actually NOT for your crop date files, but another one of the streams. It does report about reading the lower and upper bound of the data. This was the problem in the following issue where we went through and made sure the streams we thought was causing the problem were OK, and then realized that the problem was in a different stream file.

samrabin

Sam Rabin
Indeed, adding the filename to the end of the log message revealed the issue to actually be with /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/lai_streams/MODISPFTLAI_0.5x0.5_c140711.nc. Turns out that was happening because I hadn't changed the default file path for the second file I'm using, and forgot to specify it. Thanks for the tip!

PS: To help with troubleshooting in the future, perhaps the filename should always be appended to I/O errors.