Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

error message with new cami file

Hi all,I am trying to run deep-time simulations with CESM and running into problems creating a new cami file. I started with the original cami_create_cesm.csh and cesm_cami_create.ncl. I had to modify those files to include staggered latitudes. So now I am able to create a new cami.nc file. I used the original topography (USGS_gtopo30_0.47x0.63_remap_c061106) and skeleton file (cami_1980_01-01_0.47x0.63_L26_c071226). The newly created cami.nc file looks correct when looking at it with ncview.However, when I am running a modern 0.47x0.63 cam stand-alone configuration  with the new cami file (the cami input file is the only thing I changed) I get the following error message in the ccsm.log file:  *** ZM_CONV: IENTROPY: Failed and about to exit, info follows ****ZM_CONV: IENTROPY. Details: call#,lchnk,icol= 24212  11 lat: -41.59 lon: 168.75 P(mb)=  53.11 Tfg(K)= 206.51 qt(g/kg) =   0.27 qsat(g/kg) =    NaN, s(J/kg) =    NaNENDRUN:**** ZM_CONV IENTROPY: Tmix did not converge ****application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 137*** ZM_CONV: IENTROPY: Failed and about to exit, info follows ****ZM_CONV: IENTROPY. Details: call#,lchnk,icol= 2****   2 lat:  42.53 lon:  17.50 P(mb)=  37.23 Tfg(K)= 195.98 qt(g/kg) =   0.17 qsat(g/kg) =    NaN, s(J/kg) =    NaNENDRUN:**** ZM_CONV IENTROPY: Tmix did not converge ****application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 376*** ZM_CONV: IENTROPY: Failed and about to exit, info follows ****ZM_CONV: IENTROPY. Details: call#,lchnk,icol= 24105  11 lat: -43.00 lon: 169.38 P(mb)=  53.11 Tfg(K)= 206.56 qt(g/kg) =   0.26 qsat(g/kg) =    NaN, s(J/kg) =    NaNENDRUN:**** ZM_CONV IENTROPY: Tmix did not converge ****application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 133APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Hangup (signal 1) I am wondering if anyone came across the same problem or an error message like that or if you have any ideas how to solve that issue?Thanks,Nadja

nanr

Nadja - It sounds as though you have bad values in your cami file.  Have you checked that there are no missing values?  Especially near the poles?

Hi Nan,I checked the nc file with ncdump and grep and couldn't find any missing values. However, here might be the issue:In cesm_cami_create.ncl nlon and nlat are defined as dimsizes (lon) and dimsizes (lat), thus nlat is 384. The thermal wind in my skeleton file has staggered latitudes with nlat =383. Therefore, when cesm_cami_create.ncl tries to calculate thermal winds       u(:,:,0,:) = u(:,:,1,:)      u(:,:,nlat-1,:) = u(:,:,nlat-2,:)the second command line is impossible. I tried to fix the problem by commenting out that line and writing the output thermal winds with staggered latitudes so it matches the original cami file used for modern half-degree resolution runs. But maybe that becomes an issue when replacing the cami file? If that's the case, how can I calculate the thermal wind in the cesm_cami_create.ncl file, when my original U is actually a Ustaggered in the skeleton file? 

nanr

Nadja - Try using these updated cami creation scripts and see if that helps.  You will need a default cesm1.x "cam.i" file as a template. 

Hi Nan,thanks for the updated files. They work fine to create a new cami file. However, using the newly-created cami file for a CESM run results in the same error message: *** ZM_CONV: IENTROPY: Failed and about to exit, info follows ****ZM_CONV: IENTROPY. Details: call#,lchnk,icol= 28431   3 lat:  12.92 lon: 128.13 P(mb)=  37.23 Tfg(K)= 194.92 qt(g/kg) =   0.20 qsat(g/kg) =    NaN, s(J/kg) =    NaN ENDRUN:**** ZM_CONV IENTROPY: Tmix did not converge **** So what I found is that the model can't simulate convection in a 0.5 degree resolution when the temperature profil lacks a vertical gradient. The cami creation scripts all ascribe a temperature profile with a temperature gradient from the equator to the poles, but the same equator - pole profile exists for all atmospheric pressures. When I introduce a vertical temperature profile in the cami file the error message disappears and the model runs fine. So my question is: What is the best vertical temperature profile to start with for the equator and poles with atmospheric pressures from 993 to 3.5 mb?