Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error when executing case_submit

Aryan

Aryan Sengupta
Hello,
I am firest time user of CESM and for my school project wanted to run the CESM on AWS. I went thro all the setup steps but getting an error when I am doing a case_submit. THe error is below,

ubuntu@ip-172-31-31-82:~/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun$ ./case.submit
Creating component namelists
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml
CAM namelist copy: file1 /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/Buildconf/camconf/atm_in file2 /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/run/atm_in
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/slnd/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sice/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/data_comps/docn/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/srof/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sglc/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/swav/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sesp/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/drivers/mct/cime_config/buildnml
Finished creating component namelists
Checking that inputdata is available as part of case submission
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cpl.input_data_list'
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cam.input_data_list'
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/docn.input_data_list'
Check case OK
submit_jobs case.run
Submit job case.run
Starting job script case.run
Generating namelists for /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun
Creating component namelists
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml
CAM namelist copy: file1 /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/Buildconf/camconf/atm_in file2 /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/run/atm_in
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/slnd/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sice/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/data_comps/docn/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/srof/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sglc/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/swav/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sesp/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/ubuntu/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/src/drivers/mct/cime_config/buildnml
Finished creating component namelists
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Prestage required restarts into /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/run
- Case input data directory (DIN_LOC_ROOT) is /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/inputdata
- Checking for required input datasets in DIN_LOC_ROOT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2023-09-18 03:36:50 MODEL EXECUTION BEGINS HERE
run command is mpirun -np 2 -prepend-rank /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/bld/cesm.exe >> cesm.log.$LID 2>&1
ERROR: RUN FAIL: Command 'mpirun -np 2 -prepend-rank /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/bld/cesm.exe >> cesm.log.$LID 2>&1 ' failed
See log file for details: /home/ubuntu/projects/cesm/scratch/testrun/run/cesm.log.230918-033649

The error file at the end says,
[0] TASK# NAME
[0] 0 ip-172-31-31-82
[0] 1 ip-172-31-31-82
[0] *** The MPI_Info_f2c() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
[0] *** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
[0] *** Your MPI job will now abort.
[0] [ip-172-31-31-82:119988] Local abort before MPI_INIT completed completed successfully, but am not able to aggregate
error messages, and not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!
[1] *** The MPI_Info_f2c() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
[1] *** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
[1] *** Your MPI job will now abort.
[1] [ip-172-31-31-82:119989] Local abort before MPI_INIT completed completed successfully, but am not able to aggregate
error messages, and not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!

Can anyone offer some help to me here? I am a 9th grader so some of this is hard for me to understand an debug.

Thanks
Aryan

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry but I don't know what the problem is - is there anyone you can ask for support locally?
Was the mpi hello_world program invoked with the same arguments as cesm?