Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error when running CESM2.3.alpha08a with the SE dynamical core

tomasz

Hi everyone,
I am having problems with running CESM2.3.alpha08a with the spectral element dynamical core. I can submit a case but the run terminates after a couple of minutes. Here is an example:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/escomp/cesm.git cesm2_3_alpha08a
git checkout cesm2_3_alpha08a

cd cesm2_3_alpha08a/cime/scripts/

./create_newcase --case ~/cases/f.e23.FHIST.ne30_ne30_mg17.test01 --compset FHIST --res ne30_ne30_mg17 --machine fram --project nn1004k --run-unsupported

cd ~/cases/f.e23.FHIST.ne30_ne30_mg17.test01

./case.setup
./case.build
./case.submit

This results in the attached log file (cesm.log.4280297.220329-135201). Also attached are the config_machines.xml, config_compilers.xml and config_batch.xml files I am using. I am able to run CESM2.2.0 with the spectral element dycore and the same config_*.xml files and I am also able to run CESM2.3.alpha08a with a different dynamical core (for example the finite volume dycore with the grid f09_f09_mg17).

My ultimate goal is to run CESM2.3.alpha08a with a user defined variable mesh and in order to do that I need to be able to use the spectral element dycore. Can anyone help me with this? Do you know if this is a machine specific problem or if this is a bug in the model?

All the best,
Tomas.

Attachments

• cesm.log.4280297.220329-135201.txt
    123 KB · Views: 5
  • config_batch.xml.txt
    640 bytes · Views: 0
  • config_compilers.xml.txt
    787 bytes · Views: 0
  • config_machines.xml.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 0

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We are in the process of transitioning to the nuopc driver code as default but not all F cases are ready to do this
yet. Solve this by using the deprecated driver with the flag '--driver mct' on the command line of create_newcase