Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

F compset requiring docn pointer files for second advance

thoar

I don't get it ... I have a multi-instance F compset using a single data ocean for all instances.I run for one day, everything seems perfect.I change CONTINUE_RUN = TRUE and the resubmission fails with the following error: (docn_comp_init) ocn_in = docn_ocn_in
(docn_comp_init) decomp = 1d
(docn_comp_init) restfilm = undefined
(docn_comp_init) restfils = undefined
(shr_strdata_readnml) reading input namelist file: docn_ocn_in
(shr_stream_init) Reading file docn.streams.txt.prescribed
(shr_file_freeUnit) unit 94 was not in use
(docn_comp_init) ocn mode = SSTDATA
(shr_strdata_init) calling shr_dmodel_mapSet for fill
(shr_strdata_init) calling shr_dmodel_mapSet for remap
(shr_strdata_print) ----------------------------------------------------------
(shr_strdata_print) name = SDOCN data
(shr_strdata_print) dataMode = SSTDATA
(shr_strdata_print) domainFile = /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/share/domains/domain.ocn.gx1v6.090206.nc
(shr_strdata_print) nxg = 320
(shr_strdata_print) nyg = 384
(shr_strdata_print) calendar = GREGORIAN
(shr_strdata_print) io_type = 5
(shr_strdata_print) eccen = 1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) mvelpp = 1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) lambm0 = 1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) obliqr = 1.000000E+36
(shr_strdata_print) nstreams = 1
(shr_strdata_print) pio_iotype = 5
(shr_strdata_print) streams ( 1) = docn.streams.txt.prescribed 1850 1850 2012
(shr_strdata_print) taxMode ( 1) = cycle
(shr_strdata_print) dtlimit ( 1) = 1.500000E+00
(shr_strdata_print) strnxg ( 1) = 288
(shr_strdata_print) strnyg ( 1) = 192
(shr_strdata_print) dofill ( 1) = T
(shr_strdata_print) fillalgo( 1) = nn
(shr_strdata_print) fillmask( 1) = nomask
(shr_strdata_print) fillread( 1) = NOT_SET
(shr_strdata_print) fillwrit( 1) = NOT_SET
(shr_strdata_print) domaps ( 1) = T
(shr_strdata_print) mapalgo ( 1) = bilinear
(shr_strdata_print) mapmask ( 1) = dstmask
(shr_strdata_print) mapread ( 1) = NOT_SET
(shr_strdata_print) mapwrit ( 1) = NOT_SET
(shr_strdata_print) tintalgo( 1) = linear
(shr_strdata_print)
(shr_strdata_print) nvectors = 0
(shr_strdata_print) ----------------------------------------------------------
(docn_comp_init) initialize gsmaps
(docn_comp_init) copy domains
(docn_comp_init) allocate AVs
(docn_comp_init) restart filenames from rpointer
(docn_comp_init) ERROR: rpointer file does not exist
(shr_sys_abort) ERROR: (docn_comp_init) ERROR: rpointer file missing
(shr_sys_abort) WARNING: calling shr_mpi_abort() and stopping I know how to make a pointer file, but what the heck would I put in it for a DOCN?And why does the DOCN want a pointer file anyway?My CASEROOT directory is /glade/p/work/thoar/cases/cam_testMy RUN directory is /glade/scratch/thoar/cam_test/runAny help would be good - Thanks -- Tim

thoar

Following a hunch from Andy Mai and Nancy Norton (all cases were run with ocn_ncpl = 4/day) :an initial 48 hour advance DOES produce an rpointer.ocn file as well as cam_test.docn.rs1.2004-01-10-43200.bin file.an initial 24 hour advance DOES produce an rpointer.ocn file and a .rs1. file.an initial 12 hour advance DOES produce an rpointer.ocn file and a .rs1. file.an initial 6 hour advance fails to produce a pointer file or a .rs1. file. The contents of the pointer file are:cam_test.docn.r.2004-01-10-43200.nc                                                                                                                                                                                                                           cam_test.docn.rs1.2004-01-10-43200.bin                                                                                                          

thoar

Red Herring. Even with OCN_NCPL = 48/day, a 6hour advance fails to produce a pointer file or a .rs1. file.Feels like a bug to me.

thoar

Resolution: the F compset is 'tightly coupled' with the (data) ocean.If I accept the default values for env_run.xml:xxx_NCPL - and have STOP_N = 6 hours,with CONTINUE_RUN=FALSE ... an rpointer.ocn file IS created.I had specified a different OCN_NCPL frequency to match a separate compset I wanted to compare.To be specific ... I had built the case with OCN_NCPL = 4 (i.e. not the default value) ... and the runs fail.Taking that failed run and changing the OCN_NCPL back to the default value seemed to fail (the comment from 2 weeks ago).Building the case with the default OCN_NCPL ... results in a case that works.