Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Fail to submit a CESM2 aquaplanet run

muting

Seattle climate scientist
Hello,

I failed to submit a CESM2 aquaplanet simulation run recently and I wonder why this is the case. Here is what happened: I was able to create a new case, build the model, and run the model previously. However, when I submit a job recently using ./case.submit, it doesn't appear on the CaseStatus document (attached) that the job has been submitted. It has been more than 18 hours since I executed the command ./case.submit. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thank you!

Attachments

• CaseStatus.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 2

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi,

Can you clarify what you mean by "it doesn't appear on the CaseStatus document"? In the CaseStatus file you attached, it looks like the last time you ran case.submit was "2024-04-17 16:00:32" and it ran successfully. Are you saying you ran it more recently than that?

Thanks!
Courtney

muting

Yes, right after the run submitted on 2024-4-17 16:00 is done, I enter the command line ./case.submit. However, the model does not run and this command does not appear on my CaseStatus.

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi,

Did you change anything between runs? When you run case.submit now, is there anything different that comes up in the console output (i.e. does the output end with "Submitted job case.run...", or is there possibly an error?)?

Thanks
Courtney

muting

No, I didn't change anything between runs. When I execute ./case.submit, I didn't see any output such as "Submitted job case.run..." or any error messages. Below is what I did and the empty response.
1713466681124.png

peverley

Courtney Peverley
odd. I assume you usually get output when running case.submit?

One question: I do see that you have a submit_job.pbs script in your case directory. Is this how you previously submitted the job (rather than using case.submit directly)?

Try running "gladequota" to see if maybe you've run out of space in /glade/work; other than that, my advice to you is probably going to be underwhelming:

1. Try logging in/out of derecho
2. Set up a new, clean case and try to setup, build, and submit that one.

If you're still having this issue with a clean case, please provide additional details about your environment on derecho (what modules you have loaded, conda environments, etc) so I can try to replicate your issue.

Courtney

muting

I previously always use ./case.submit. I created that submit_job.pbs script today because ./case.submit is not working. However, submit_job.pbs also doesn't work.

We are supposed to just use ./case.submit, correct?

I checked my gladequota and it is only used up to 30%.

muting

Hi Courtney,

I created a new case and built it successfully. However, I still can not run the model. I am not sure why.

My procedures for creating a new case, building, and running the model are attached. The new CaseStatus is also attached. I use conda deactivate when running the model.

The new run directory is: /glade/work/muting/cesm_runs/SST_AQP3_Qobs_27_-4K_3h_20y_CLUBB_new2

I load the below modules in my ~/.bashrc
module load ncview
module load python/3.7.12
module load conda/latest

Attachments

• CaseStatus_new2.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 1
  • My steps when running the CESM2 aquaplanet simulations.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 0

muting

I realized that somehow my case.submit execution code is empty. I replaced that and it works now. Thank you for your help.