Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

FATES in CLM5

wvsi3w

wvs3iw
Dear CTSM/CLM scientists,

I was reading the CLM5 paper and it is mentioned that FATES is not active by default which made me look into these links (FATES tutorial + user guide + technical note + initialization) to see how this FATES in turned on in CLM.

As far as I have read, FATES can be used (turned on) in CTSM (or maybe CLM-FATES) as in the initialization link describes how. like in this part it says:
Code:
use_fates_inventory_init = .true.
fates_inventory_ctrl_filename = '<full path to the control file>'
and continues saying stuff about "Control File Specification" for that.

I am really new to this thing and I don't know how to use FATES in my CESM (CLM5) for studying vegetation dynamics, so sorry if my questions seem trivial.
So, let's say I want to do a spin up for my project, it needs about 1200 years of spin up (biogeochemistry compset), and after that (after reaching equilibrium) I would run onward to the future (say 2100). The AD spin up for my case is 1000 years and ND spin up is 200 years.
1- how should I turn on FATES in this process? Is that "use_fates_inventory_init = .true." part the only trick we need to use in order to turn it on?
2- Can I turn it on later using some other restart file from for example, ND spin up (or any other restart file from transient simulation from 1901 onward)??? and most importantly, how can someone turn this FATES on?
3- in this practical tutorial of FATES there is not much to understand and the link for the running fates (walk through) doesn't work. do you have something similar and thorough for this?
4- In this FAQ page for FATES it says we can not still run it globally (I guess?), so it can be only used for single-point simulations? how?

The tutorials on how to do the global run and etc for FATES mostly need access to be granted and there is another link for 2024 tutorial that the application form is expired, so here is my last chance to ask these questions.

Thanks for your help.

afoster

Adrianna Foster
Hi,

This is correct that FATES is not active by default.

FATES is used by selecting a FATES compset. (e.g., I2000Clm60Fates for an I case).

The user_nl_clm variables you reference (`use_fates_inventory_init = .true.`, `fates_inventory_ctrl_filename = '<full path to the control file>'`) are for if you want to initialize FATES with inventory data, which it doesn't seem like you want to do.

You must have FATES on from the start of your spinup, and cannot turn it on after a spinup.

Here is a FATES tutorial you can check out that may help with some of your questions.

FATES can certainly be run globally, but as the FAQ says, the global parameters are not yet fully calibrated, so it depends on what you want to do and how much parameterization you are interested in doing. At a single-point, you would still need to calibrate parameters, but it is likely going to be more tractible.

You can find out how to run a single point for CTSM/FATES here.

wvsi3w

wvs3iw
Hi,

This is correct that FATES is not active by default.

FATES is used by selecting a FATES compset. (e.g., I2000Clm60Fates for an I case).

The user_nl_clm variables you reference (`use_fates_inventory_init = .true.`, `fates_inventory_ctrl_filename = '<full path to the control file>'`) are for if you want to initialize FATES with inventory data, which it doesn't seem like you want to do.

You must have FATES on from the start of your spinup, and cannot turn it on after a spinup.

Here is a FATES tutorial you can check out that may help with some of your questions.

FATES can certainly be run globally, but as the FAQ says, the global parameters are not yet fully calibrated, so it depends on what you want to do and how much parameterization you are interested in doing. At a single-point, you would still need to calibrate parameters, but it is likely going to be more tractible.

You can find out how to run a single point for CTSM/FATES here.
Dear Adrianna,
Thank you for your response.
I was reading the forum and found this thread "CLM5 DATM_MODE for point simulation" where Keith mentions that FATES should be used as DV is not available for CLM5 and one thing came to my mind that if you know it would be possible to find out how to run with FATES/CESM2.1.3 because I can not currently switch to CTSM and I am stuck with cesm2.1.3 (due to system difficulties and error in configuring the model on them + objective issues of my project).

I think it should be a way since clm5 is part of cesm2.1.3 and when FATES is our only option for vegetation dynamics then there should be some tutorial on it, right?