Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Finding neighboring grid cells for flux transfer in CTSM

akhtert

Tanjila Akhter
Hello,

I am trying to simulate cell-to-cell groundwater flow in CTSM by activating the water table lower boundary condition. My goal is to simulate groundwater pumping for irrigation, adjust the water table based on the amount of water pumped, and allow lateral flow between neighboring cells to achieve a stabilized water table. This task is very similar to this previous work done in CLM5, where groundwater pumping as well as lateral groundwater flow was included. I am attempting to transfer the relevant code from this work into the latest CTSM (ctsm5.2.023).

However, I understand that the neighboring grid cell functionality has been discontinued in CTSM (finding neighboring grid | DiscussCESM Forums (ucar.edu)). For this specific purpose, I would like to ask if there is any way to reintroduce or adapt this feature to enable lateral groundwater flow between cells. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this matter and any suggestions you may have for achieving this.

Thank you.