Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

flux_diurnal namelist switch

Does the flux_diurnal namelist switch which turns on the Large&Caron (2015) diurnal cycle calculation of SST and salinity still considered a viable model option? I attempted a BHIST simulation using cesm2.2.0 with flux_diurnal set to true but it crashes in the 2nd simulated day. The culprit appears to be numerical instability in the semi-implicit solver for salinity although I'm not 100% certain of that claim.

Thanks,
Mark Branson

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Unfortunately, my understanding is that flux_diurnal is not really used / supported at this point, particularly now that we couple the atmosphere and ocean hourly rather than daily.

Thanks for that info, Bill. I'm curious as to what model version did the coupling change from daily to hourly? Also, when did the the shr_flux_atmOcn_diurnal subroutine first appear in the code? Or is there any way to track that down?

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Coupling changed from daily to hourly in CESM2. I don't know when shr_flux_atmOcn_diurnal first appeared, but you can use "git blame" on a file to see the history of each line of code.

Hi Bill.

It may be that I'm still misunderstanding something, but where does the difference in the coupling frequency (daily to hourly) actually manifest itself? I was presuming it would be in the coupling variables within env_run.xml, but if I look at NCPL_BASE_PERIOD and ATM_NCPL for both a cesm2.2.0 case as well as from a cesm1.1.1 case, they both have:

<entry id="NCPL_BASE_PERIOD" value="day" />
<entry id="ATM_NCPL" value="48" />

And sure enough, when I put a print statement in seq_flux_mct.F90 to see how often shr_flux_atmocn is called, it gets called 48 times per day in both cases. So I'm not seeing the difference in coupling frequency changing from daily to hourly.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mark

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not 100% sure, but I think what you want to look at is OCN_NCPL: I think you'll see a difference between cesm2.2 vs. cesm1.1 in that value. In both cases, the atmosphere is still coupled every 1/2 hour, and shr_flux_atmocn is called every 1/2 hour as well, but the ocean coupling fields were only updated daily in older model versions (for performance reasons).

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Interesting. I guess your version used half-hourly coupling of the ocean already. (That wasn't true for all versions.)