Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

fPAR?

If someone could please remind me how to pull fPAR out of SurfaceRadiationMod.F90 in CLM3.5, I would greatly appreciate it. Given PAR = 1 - (PARbelowcanopy / PARabovecanopy), is this simply (in CLM state variables):

FPAR = 1 - [ (trd+tri) / (forc_solad + forc_solai) ]

which could probably be simplified... ?

slevis

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the formulation that you mentioned.

I used FPAR=1-exp(-0.5 LAI) in Levis et al. (1999) JGR-Atm. I'm not sure I included a reference for that in the paper... I think Jon Foley told me about it, and maybe Colin Prentice was using the same as well.

Sam

Maybe I am overcomplicating this. I want to compare CLM's fPAR against MODIS fPAR. I just need to review my 2-stream physics to understand whether the Beer-Lambert fPAR, calculated using CLM3.5-CN's LAI is necessarily the same fPAR calculated using actual difference between above canopy PAR and below canopy PAR. (by the way, i just realized that I omitted albedo from the forced solar terms above...). I probably am completely off-track on this and confusing radiation terms. thanks for feedback.