Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Generating a variable mesh: error in gen_CLMsrfdata

tomasz

Hi,
I am following the tutorial from February 2022 on how to create a variable mesh for CESM (see Community_Mesh_Generation_Toolkit/AMWG_DEMO_FEB22-NOTES at master · ESMCI/Community_Mesh_Generation_Toolkit). When trying to generate the CLM surface data (line 503 in the tutorial) I get an error:

Code:
ERROR: mapping file for this resolution does NOT exist (/cluster/home/tomaszoe/AMWG_DEMO_FEB22/AMWG_REPO//ne0np4.EUROPE.ne30x8/maps_clm//map_3x3min_nomask_to_ne0np4.EUROPE.ne30x8_nomask_aave_da_c220309.nc).

This looks as if there is a mapping file required between my own grid (ne0np4.EUROPE.ne30x8) and 3x3min. I am confused by this since I though that the need to create mapping files was gone for CESM tags cesm2.3.alpha08a and later. Could anybody comment on this?

Thanks,
Tómas.

tomasz

It turned out that since I am not using any of NCAR’s machines, a few environmental variables have to be set externally. Then the required mapping files are generated automatically:
  • export ESMFBIN_PATH="/path/to/ESMF/module/binaries/"
  • export REGRID_PROC="1" # Number of MPI processors to use.
  • export MPIEXEC="mpirun -np $REGRID_PROC"
-Tómas.

patc

Patrick Callaghan
Hi Tomas,

Thank you for the follow up. The NUOPC driver is new so not all of the usage scenarios
have been tested. I will make a note of your problem/solution and add it to the documentation.

--> Patrick