Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Help Regarding Community Ice CodE (CICE)

Varunesh Chandra

Hello - I had made changes in R_ice and R_pnd in ice_init.F90 file. Actually in default these parameters are set for both hemispheres (Arctic and Antarctica) but I am changing these parameters only for the northern (Arctic) hemisphere. I am getting errors during building the model. Kindly help me. I am attaching here my modified code (ice_init.F90) and ice log file. You can find my modifications marked with “VARUNESH CHANDRA”. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• Fcode_LogFile.zip
    36 KB · Views: 6

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You need to remove the , & from line 3900 in ice_shortwave.F90:

real (kind=dbl_kind) :: &
hs , & ! snow depth (m)
fT , & ! piecewise linear function of surface temperature
dTs , & ! difference of Tsfc and Timelt
rsnw_nm, & ! actual used nonmelt snow grain radius (micro-meters)

Keep in mind that R_ice and R_pnd are namelist parameters. These are read in via user_nl_cice and replace the defaults specified in ice_init.F90. If you are changing the behaviour of these, you would need to add code in ice_init.F90 after the shortwave_nml namelist is read in, but before the broadcast. You would also need to define separate variables for the Arctic. This is probably best in shortwave_dEdd within the loop and do a check on TLAT.

I would really not recommend this however. What is the question you are trying to answer? Changing parameters based on latitude is generally a bad idea.