Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Hostfile or pool must be used........Help!!!

Hello,

I was just starting to use CAM3. After configuring and running the test case in the user guide (p20), I have this error message in the output.txt:
ERROR: 0031-808 Hostfile or pool must be used to request nodes.

It seems a problem of the settings of my work station, but I don't know where or how to correct it. Can somebody please help me out? Thank you.
(PS. I am using the NCAR workstation)

Ching-Yee

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
It would be great if you could provide more inf as to what your model configuration you are using including.
1. What machine are you using (is it one of the NCAR supercomputers?)
2. Could you include more from the output file prior to the point at which the model crashes

Actually having a quick look again it seems that the error is in submitting your job to job schedular on the particular computer you are using.
You need to include the correct loadleveler (if using bluesky) of LSF (if using bluevista) commands to submit and run the job properly. If you include the commands you are using to submit your model run to the computer in your reply then I should be able to help you

I have the same problem.

I am using bluefire.

I am running cam3.5.32 checked out from the repository and not modified, compiled using the testing procedure as described in section 3.2.1 of CAM3.0 user guide http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/models/atm-cam/docs/usersguide/usersguide.pdf.
Everything went as described in user guide except for the command
> % $camcfg/build-namelist -test
which does not produce a "namelist" file but it produces the following
> -rw-r--r-- 1 drosa univ 205 Apr 08 20:11 ocn_in
> -rw-r--r-- 1 drosa univ 439 Apr 08 20:11 lnd_in
> -rw-r--r-- 1 drosa univ 206 Apr 08 20:11 ice_in
> -rw-r--r-- 1 drosa univ 222 Apr 08 20:11 drv_in
> -rw-r--r-- 1 drosa univ 525 Apr 08 20:11 atm_in

Then trying to run cam i get:

be1105en% ./cam
ERROR: 0031-808 Hostfile or pool must be used to request nodes
be1105en%