Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How does CICE-master calculate surface spectral band direct and diffuse fluxes?

CST1996

Shutao Cao
Dear developer of CICE,
As we know, in order to calculate albedo of sea ice, surface spectral band direct and diffuse fluxes, which include visible direct, visible diffuse, near-infrared direct and near-infrared diffuse fluxes, need to be provided. However, it seems that "icepack_shortwave.F90" doesn't explain how to get the four fluxes. Could you please tell me in which part the four fluxes are calculated? And please tell me the related Fortran code.
Thanks!
Best Wishes~

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
For the shortwave = 'ccsm3' situation it is a Beer's law formulation. For the shortwave = 'dEdd' this is the delta-Eddington multiple scattering formulation and I would recommend reading Briegleb and Light 2007 for this (A Delta-Eddington Mutiple Scattering Parameterization for Solar Radiation in the Sea Ice Component of the Community Climate System Model | OpenSky). You might also want to talk with Charlie Zender and his group about this more. Also I would recommend reading Dang et al. 2019 (Intercomparison and improvement of two-stream shortwave radiative transfer schemes in Earth system models for a unified treatment of cryospheric surfaces).

CST1996

Shutao Cao
For the shortwave = 'ccsm3' situation it is a Beer's law formulation. For the shortwave = 'dEdd' this is the delta-Eddington multiple scattering formulation and I would recommend reading Briegleb and Light 2007 for this (A Delta-Eddington Mutiple Scattering Parameterization for Solar Radiation in the Sea Ice Component of the Community Climate System Model | OpenSky). You might also want to talk with Charlie Zender and his group about this more. Also I would recommend reading Dang et al. 2019 (Intercomparison and improvement of two-stream shortwave radiative transfer schemes in Earth system models for a unified treatment of cryospheric surfaces).
Thanks for your reply. But maybe I didn't describe my question clearly. I know that 'ccsm3' or 'dEdd' is used to calculate solar radiation transfer inside the sea ice. Maybe what I want to find out is how solar radiation is transferred in atmosphere. In Briegleb and Light 2007 'Appendix C: Atmosphere Radiation Model', the author mentioned that CICE used the solar radiation model of CCM3 in order to provide surface spectral band direct and diffuse fluxes required by the Delta-Eddington solar radiation treatment for both clear and overcast skies. However, I don't know whether the atmosphere model is included in CICE or the radiation of atmosphere is calculated outside CICE. If it is included in CICE, could you please tell me in which code it is calculated?
Thanks!
Best Wishes