Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How does one set up a SSP585-ESM simulation with CESM2

lisa17

As UllaH pointed out, the longname for the BSSP585 compset is
SSP585_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
The BDRD at the end of this longname describes how CO2 is used in the experiment.
The BD indicates that the biogeochemistry modules in the surface components use diagnostic (i.e. prescribed) CO2.
The RD indicates that atmospheric radiation computations use diagnostic (i.e. prescribed) CO2.

If you replace BDRD in the compset longname with BPRP, then the biogeochemistry modules in the surface components and the atmospheric radiation computations will both use prognostic (i.e. computed) CO2. It sounds like this is what you want.

I've attached some slides from the BGC practical session of the CESM tutorial that (somewhat tersely) explains this. In particular, please see slide 3.

Note that I advise against initializing a BPRP experiment from a BDRD experiment. The atmospheric CO2 tracers in a BDRD compset are usually out of balance with the carbon cycle. So you would get large transients in carbon fluxes at the beginning of your experiment. You should initialize using a reference case that was BPRP. The inputdata repository has restart files for 2015-01-01 from b.e21.BHIST_BPRP.f09_g17.CMIP6-esm-hist.002 that suffices for this.

At one point we had submitted BPRP SSP585 results from CESM2.1 to CMIP6. However, a bug was found in the forcing and the results were retracted. The experiment has not yet been rerun.

I think the absence of this compset in the CESM 2.1 release series is just an oversight. I don't recall having a reason to intentionally omit this compset.
Hi Keith,
The official website (CESM2 Experiments, Data & Diagnostic Output) published the data of b.e21.BSSP585_BPRPcmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-esm-ssp585.001, Is it the data that you said a bug was found in the forcing?
Can the data of b.e21.BSSP585_BPRPcmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-esm-ssp585.001 be used for analysis? or to verify that the data of my BSSP585_BPRPcmip6 run on another server is accurate? Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,