Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How radiation transfer of atmosphere is calculated in CICE-master?

CST1996

Shutao Cao
Dear developer of CICE,
I want to find out how solar radiation is transferred in atmosphere. In Briegleb and Light 2007 'Appendix C: Atmosphere Radiation Model', the author mentioned that CICE used the solar radiation model of CCM3 in order to provide surface spectral band direct and diffuse fluxes required by the Delta-Eddington solar radiation treatment for both clear and overcast skies. However, I don't know whether the atmosphere model is included in CICE or the radiation of atmosphere is calculated outside CICE. If it is included in CICE, could you please tell me in which code it is calculated?
Thanks!
Best Wishes!

The CICE model does not calculate the atmospheric radiation. It only takes the radiation fluxes given to it by the atmosphere (eg. in CCSM3 or another coupled model) and distributes that energy through the ice using the delta-Eddington parameterization or a simpler radiation scheme which is also available.
e

CST1996

Shutao Cao
The CICE model does not calculate the atmospheric radiation. It only takes the radiation fluxes given to it by the atmosphere (eg. in CCSM3 or another coupled model) and distributes that energy through the ice using the delta-Eddington parameterization or a simpler radiation scheme which is also available.
e
Thanks for your reply!
Do you mean the ratio of the four solar radiation fluxes(SWvsdr, SWvsdf, SWnidr, SWnidf) is determined by the forcing data in an uncoupled CICE model?
However, as we know, cloud plays an significant role in determining the ratio of different fluxes. I want to know how cloud works in calculating the ratio. Or the ratio needs to be given directly? Is the parameter 'frcvdr', 'frcvdf', 'frcidr', 'frcidf' in dEdd paraterization constant or variant along with the variation of cloud?

Best Wishes!

There are two ways to run CICE: coupled and uncoupled. In a coupled run, the atmosphere model (or parts of the climate model outside of the sea ice component) determines how the shortwave radiation is partitioned, and that is sent to the sea ice model, which uses it directly. In an uncoupled run, there are fractions (which add up to one) that are used to partition it. You can find these in the code, but please keep in mind that we do NOT recommend running the cice model uncoupled except for testing.

CST1996

Shutao Cao
There are two ways to run CICE: coupled and uncoupled. In a coupled run, the atmosphere model (or parts of the climate model outside of the sea ice component) determines how the shortwave radiation is partitioned, and that is sent to the sea ice model, which uses it directly. In an uncoupled run, there are fractions (which add up to one) that are used to partition it. You can find these in the code, but please keep in mind that we do NOT recommend running the cice model uncoupled except for testing.
Thanks a lot for your help!
I get it.
Best wishes for you!