Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to activate "ciso" option in the ecosystem model?

Hi, Can someone help me on how to activate the "ciso" option in POP2 using CESM2 version, so i can get to see the carbon isotopes in my simulation? As far as i see, it is not an option like "iage" or "ecosys" in env_build, and i see the namelist option  "ciso_on" in marbl_in, but what is the proper way/command to activate it? Thanks a lot,Altug

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What version of CESM are you running? Prior to CESM 2.0, you enable carbon isotopes by running $ ./xmlchange -a OCN_TRACER_MODULES=ciso from your case directory. For CESM 2.0, create a file named user_nl_marbl and add the line ciso_on = .true. to it. Two things to note: 1. You need to have the ecosystem tracer module turned on (typically done by selecting a compset that uses ocean BGC)2. If you have already built your case, you will need to do a clean build because CISO changes the ocean tracer count (and that's a build-time specification). I believe the following will work for all versions of CESM: $ ./case.build --clean-all$ ./case.build If --clean-all is not recognized as an option in your version of case.build, try either "./case.build --clean" or just make a new case.

Dear all,

I am trying to produce a simulation using POP2 and CESM2 version with carbon isotopes in my simulation using the "use_ciso=.true." option set in user_nl_marbl.
My case compiles just fine but during execution I encouter the error:

POP aborting...
Error in getting varid for netCDF field DI13C_CUR

Looking into this, I find that CESM2 is trying to read DI13C_CUR from /inputfiles/cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.297/0130-01-01/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.297.pop.r.0130-01-01-00000.nc right before the crash. However, if I look at the information of that .nc file, DI13C_CUR is not found. A colleage was able to run the ciso option a couple of weeks back, so I was wondering if there have been any changes to the input data repository lately?

I am thankful for any suggestions that help me solve this issue.

Best,
Gunnar

Dear all,

I am trying to produce a simulation using POP2 and CESM2 version with carbon isotopes in my simulation using the "use_ciso=.true." option set in user_nl_marbl.
My case compiles just fine but during execution I encouter the error:

POP aborting...
Error in getting varid for netCDF field DI13C_CUR

Looking into this, I find that CESM2 is trying to read DI13C_CUR from /inputfiles/cesm2_init/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.297/0130-01-01/b.e20.B1850.f09_g17.pi_control.all.297.pop.r.0130-01-01-00000.nc right before the crash. However, if I look at the information of that .nc file, DI13C_CUR is not found. A colleage was able to run the ciso option a couple of weeks back, so I was wondering if there have been any changes to the input data repository lately?

I am thankful for any suggestions that help me solve this issue.

Best,
Gunnar
I have the same question, have you solve it? Thanks !

zhangheng

Zhang Heng
What version of CESM are you running? Prior to CESM 2.0, you enable carbon isotopes by running $ ./xmlchange -a OCN_TRACER_MODULES=ciso from your case directory. For CESM 2.0, create a file named user_nl_marbl and add the line ciso_on = .true. to it. Two things to note: 1. You need to have the ecosystem tracer module turned on (typically done by selecting a compset that uses ocean BGC)2. If you have already built your case, you will need to do a clean build because CISO changes the ocean tracer count (and that's a build-time specification). I believe the following will work for all versions of CESM: $ ./case.build --clean-all$ ./case.build If --clean-all is not recognized as an option in your version of case.build, try either "./case.build --clean" or just make a new case.
Hi Michael, I selected G1850ECO (POP2%ECO) in my case in CESM2.2.0. But the user_nl_marbl file has not been created. I am a novice, can you give me some tips for these?
1692194952899.png

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
the user_nl_marbl file has not been created. I am a novice, can you give me some tips for these?

That file is not created automatically. If it doesn't exist, you can create it from the command line by running

Code:
$ echo "ciso_on = .true." > user_nl_marbl

Note that if user_nl_marbl already exists, this command will overwrite the entire contents of the file!

zhangheng

Zhang Heng
That file is not created automatically. If it doesn't exist, you can create it from the command line by running

Code:
$ echo "ciso_on = .true." > user_nl_marbl

Note that if user_nl_marbl already exists, this command will overwrite the entire contents of the file!
I am really appreciate for your help, I will try it again.