Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to change surface dataset (single site simulaiton)

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Hi,

I want to ask a question about how to change the surface dataset to pure crop simulation when doing a single site simulation, like 100% in maize; And where I can find the corresponding fertilisation rate to different land cover types,

thank you.

I list my file below

/glade/work/jinmuluo/GSWP3ISU/surfdata_isu_point_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c240809.nc

slevis

Recent versions of the clm include tools (in the /tools directory) such as the fsurdat_modifier. I haven't used this tool in a while and do not remember whether it only works for global files.

For a single point file you may find it simplest to use ncdump to make an ascii version of the file. After modifying manually, you then use ncgen to generate a new netcdf version of the file. You just have to be very careful to not introduce typos or other mistakes to the file. The model will usually let you know if you end up with a bad file.

slevis

Oh, and I ncdump-ed a random fsurdat file that I had and saw that the fertilization per crop has this variable name: CONST_FERTNITRO_CFT