Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to change the SST forcing in a branch run?

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
I have done 2 runs with the default SST and with the modified SSTs. I was able to run both cases without any troubles. Here the commands I used: 1) with the default SSTcd /glade/p/cesm/releases/cesm1_0_6/scripts./create_newcase -case /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst2 -compset FC5 -res T42_T42 -mach yellowstonecd /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst2./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_FILENAME -val /glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/ocn/docn7/SSTDATA/sst_HadOIBl_bc_64x128_clim_c050526.nc./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_START -val 0./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_END -val 0./configure -case./test_sst2.yellowstone.build  ./test_sst2.yellowstone.submit 2) with the modified SSt cd /glade/p/cesm/releases/cesm1_0_6/scripts./create_newcase -case /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst3 -compset FC5 -res T42_T42 -mach yellowstonecd /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst3./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_FILENAME -val /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/sst/CP_I.nc./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_START -val 0./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_END -val 0./configure -case./configure -case./test_sst3.yellowstone.build  ./test_sst3.yellowstone.submit

hi, hannayfollow your steps of 1) and 2) respectively,I also run two case successfullybut i want to run a startup case by 1) and run a branch case by 2) in other words ,i want to change sst forcing in a single process,result of 1) is control experiment, the other is sensitivity (according to userguide of CESM,branch run are used when sensitivity studies)but my errors always  appears in this branch runit is my setting :RUN_TYPE  value="branch" RUN_REFCASE  value="test"  (   the result of step 1)    )RUN_REFDATE"  value="0001-02-01" DOCN_SSTDATA_FILENAME -val /nuist/scratch/vikicam/inputdata/forcing/CP_I.ncDOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_START -val 0DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_END -val 0maybe I don't understand branch run correctly now.I'm very grateful for your helping me

hi, hannayfollow your steps of 1) and 2) respectively,I also run two case successfullybut i want to run a startup case by 1) and run a branch case by 2) in other words ,i want to change sst forcing in a single process,result of 1) is control experiment, the other is sensitivity (according to userguide of CESM,branch run are used when sensitivity studies)but my errors always  appears in this branch runit is my setting :RUN_TYPE  value="branch" RUN_REFCASE  value="test"  (   the result of step 1)    )RUN_REFDATE"  value="0001-02-01" DOCN_SSTDATA_FILENAME -val /nuist/scratch/vikicam/inputdata/forcing/CP_I.ncDOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_START -val 0DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_END -val 0maybe I don't understand branch run correctly now.I'm very grateful for your helping me

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
A branch run is a specific type of run that is equivalent to a restart run. I don't think it is going to work in your case to change the SSTs as it will not be equivalent to a restart run. In your case, I would do an hybrid run and not a branch. When it says in the tutorial you need to use branch for a sensitivity study, it refers to the climate sensitivity (doubling C02) and not a change in SSTs. 

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
A branch run is a specific type of run that is equivalent to a restart run. I don't think it is going to work in your case to change the SSTs as it will not be equivalent to a restart run. In your case, I would do an hybrid run and not a branch. When it says in the tutorial you need to use branch for a sensitivity study, it refers to the climate sensitivity (doubling C02) and not a change in SSTs. 

I have done 2 runs with the default SST and with the modified SSTs. I was able to run both cases without any troubles. Here the commands I used: 1) with the default SSTcd /glade/p/cesm/releases/cesm1_0_6/scripts./create_newcase -case /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst2 -compset FC5 -res T42_T42 -mach yellowstonecd /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst2./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_FILENAME -val /glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/ocn/docn7/SSTDATA/sst_HadOIBl_bc_64x128_clim_c050526.nc./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_START -val 0./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_END -val 0./configure -case./test_sst2.yellowstone.build ./test_sst2.yellowstone.submit 2) with the modified SSt cd /glade/p/cesm/releases/cesm1_0_6/scripts./create_newcase -case /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst3 -compset FC5 -res T42_T42 -mach yellowstonecd /glade/scratch/hannay/test_sst3./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_FILENAME -val /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/sst/CP_I.nc./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_START -val 0./xmlchange -file env_conf.xml -id DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_END -val 0./configure -case./configure -case./test_sst3.yellowstone.build ./test_sst3.yellowstone.submit
Hi Cecile,

Recently I had a similar hybrid run, but I got some errors.

First I set RUN_REFDATE to 0091-08-01 in the hybrid run, I found the model ran successfully but from 0001-01-01. Then I set RUN_STARTDATE to 0091-08-01, too. And the model indeed ran from 0091-08-01, but it stopped with an error "urban net longwave radiation error: no convergence clm model is stopping".

Could you give some suggestions?

I am using F compset with cesm1.0.6.
Thanks,
Jian

Hi Cecile,

Recently I had a similar hybrid run, but I got some errors.

First I set RUN_REFDATE to 0091-08-01 in the hybrid run, I found the model ran successfully but from 0001-01-01. Then I set RUN_STARTDATE to 0091-08-01, too. And the model indeed ran from 0091-08-01, but it stopped with an error "urban net longwave radiation error: no convergence clm model is stopping".

Could you give some suggestions?

I am using F compset with cesm1.0.6.
Thanks,
Jian
The problem is solved. The error comes from that there are missing values in my own sst-forcing file.

bidyut

BIDYUT BIKASH GOSWAMI
Hi Cecile,

I see that there are two SST variables in the F2000_climo SST forcing file SST_cpl and SST_cpl_prediddle. The link which you had shared at the beginning of this thread (https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/source-sst-dataset-cam5-f-compset-simulations) is not working any more, if I am correct. Can you kindly explain again what is the difference between SST_cpl and SST_cpl_prediddle?

I want to do an experiment by imposing seasonal warming trends over the Oceans. Which variable should I add the warming to: SST_cpl or SST_cpl_prediddle or both?

Thank you.

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
The "diddling"is a procedure that ensures that the monthly mean of the daily-interpolated SST anomalies matches the monthly SST anomalies.

The SST and ICE will be interpolated between the mid-month values by a linear interpolation. The variables used will be ice_cov/SST_cpl. They are obtained used the icesst tools. The Hurrell dataset is specifically created for use with CAM and include the "diddling" procedure that ensures that the monthly mean of the daily-interpolated SST anomalies matches the monthly SST anomalies. This follows the protocol for AMIP simulation described in: Taylor, K.E., D. Williamson, and F. Zwiers (2000): The sea surface temperature and sea-ice concentration boundary conditions for AMIP II simulations. PCMDI Report No. 60 and UCRL-MI-125597, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, 25 pp.
pdf file available at http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov/publications/pdf/60.pdf

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
A branch run is a specific type of run that is equivalent to a restart run. I don't think it is going to work in your case to change the SSTs as it will not be equivalent to a restart run. In your case, I would do an hybrid run and not a branch. When it says in the tutorial you need to use branch for a sensitivity study, it refers to the climate sensitivity (doubling C02) and not a change in SSTs.
Hello,I use my sstice file to run FC* compset. There is an errror occured. I run from 2015 to 2017. When it runs 2016-12, the error happened. I think it is because of the file. But I compare my sstice file with sst_HadOIBl_bc_1.9x2.5_1850_2017_c180507.nc. The "time" type and other variables are similar. So I don't know what is wrong. Could you hlep me? Thanks! Attatch my sstice file, the "sst_HadOIBl_bc_1.9x2.5_1850_2017_c180507.nc" file and my log.error.png

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
Hello,I use my sstice file to run FC* compset. There is an errror occured. I run from 2015 to 2017. When it runs 2016-12, the error happened. I think it is because of the file. But I compare my sstice file with sst_HadOIBl_bc_1.9x2.5_1850_2017_c180507.nc. The "time" type and other variables are similar. So I don't know what is wrong. Could you hlep me? Thanks! Attatch my sstice file, the "sst_HadOIBl_bc_1.9x2.5_1850_2017_c180507.nc" file and my log.View attachment 3443
Sorry, my sstice file is too large to upload. So I post the head file.

Attachments

• my_sstice_file.png
    my_sstice_file.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 3