Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to choose between similar variables that appear in both clm and cam outputs

Ceil

Hi,

I did some modifications to surface data "surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc". I want to see the changes in 2-m air temperature and land surface temperature, so I find "TSA" "TSKIN" in my model outputs "*.clm2.h0.2010-01-01-00000.nc". But I also find "TREFHT", "TS" in "*.cam.h0.2010-01-01-00000.nc", and the two variables also seem to indicate 2-m air temperature and land surface temperature. So I am confused which variables should be chosen to analyze.

I tried to do differences between the variables (such as diff="TSKIN-TS"), and they are different as the follow figure shows:
1727970846239.png

I am looking forward to your help! Many thanks!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can grep for those variables (TSKIN, TSA, TREFHT, TS) in the code to see how they are derived. I think TREFHT should be the same as TSA over gridcells that are 100% land (no ocean). TSKIN and TS have different derivations. I believe TS is the radiative temperature derived from outgoing longwave while TSKIN involves vegetation/soil emissivity.

Vote Upvote 2 Downvote