Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to continue running from the generated restart files

wbr2023

彬睿王
Hi, I am using the CESM 2.1.3 and I use the compset FHIST to run a case.
First I performed the following steps, then I successfully ran and got the restart files for 2010-01-01:
./xmlchange RUN_STARTDATE=2009-01-01
./xmlchange STOP_N=1
./xmlchange STOP_OPTION=nyears
./case.setup

# Edit user_nl_clm file
use_init_interp = .true.

./case.build
After that I want to continue to run for 5 more years using the restart file I got from 2010-01-01:
./xmlchange RUN_STARTDATE=2010-01-01
./xmlchange STOP_N=5
./xmlchange CONTINUE_RUN=TRUE
However, the following error is displayed:
1726818481550.png
Is there a problem with my steps and what is the reason for showing this error.

Sincerely hope to get your advice.
Best wishes!

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You shouldn't need to change RUN_STARTDATE in this situation. Try changing that back to the original value and rerunning.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Before looking into this more, can you try creating a new case where you start over with doing an initial run and then just changing CONTINUE_RUN to TRUE without changing anything else and seeing if that works? (It's possible that some of the changes you've made and then changed back have somehow interfered with this.)

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote