Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to incorporate bioenergy crops in CTSM?

AnuNTNU

Anusha Sathyanadh
Hi

I am trying to get active bioenery crops in SSP534 compset. I havent seen any LUH2 surface or landuse data with miscanthus or switchgrass active here https://svn-ccsm-inputdata.cgd.ucar.edu/trunk/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.18/ . But , follwing the discussion here , Add two bioenergy crops (switchgrass and Miscanthus) by yanyanchengHydro · Pull Request #884 · ESCOMP/CTSM (especially the last comment), I got CTSM5.1 installed for that purpose. Then I created an SSP compset (ISSP534Clm50BgcCrop_20230323). Built and submitted it succesfully, but run failed. However, I can see the input lanuse and surface data file doesnt have any active biocrops in it. Does anyone know why ? And how can I have bioenergy crops in my simulations without the initial data for it?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you are talking about this statement: "If you create a case with an SSP compset you should get a land use time series with mischanthus and switchgrass active", I don't think that is true, sorry. Those datasets were created for CLM5 and for CMIP6 simulations, before the bioenergy crops code was developed. To my knowledge, out of the box datasets with bioenergy crops have yet to be developed. So you would have to create your own datasets.

AnuNTNU

Anusha Sathyanadh
Ok Thanks a lot for making it clear to me. I first wanted to get confirmed. I will look into how to create them now. It didnt work when I tried earlier.

AnuNTNU

Anusha Sathyanadh
Hi @oleson
Can you give me some directions on how to create the input dataset (surface and landuse series) with bioenergy crops (miscanthus and switchgrass) for the SSP534 scenario that is available in CTSM5.1?

lawrencepj1

Peter Lawrence
Hi @oleson
Can you give me some directions on how to create the input dataset (surface and landuse series) with bioenergy crops (miscanthus and switchgrass) for the SSP534 scenario that is available in CTSM5.1?
Hi Anusha

Yes it is possible to create new CLM5/CTSM5.2 surface and land use time series files using the CLM5 Land Use Data tool to include biofuels driven off the LUH2 SSP534 biofuel field to achieve the switchgrass miscanthus distributions of the future you describe. The major problem with this statement is that current day and near term projections do not foresee miscanthus or switchgrass being major biofuel contributors so there are no current rules on how to prescribe them. The scenario you are asking for would be a hypothetical SSP534 driven with unsupported assumptions on biofuel production. For such an investigation this would require that these assumptions can be translated into biofuel rules i.e. all new biofuels after a certain date will be represented by switchgrass or miscanthus based on certain climate rules.

For reference here is the OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2021-2030

Biofuels (bioethanol and biodiesel1) are fuels produced from biomass. At present, about 60% of ethanol is produced from maize, 25% from sugarcane, 2% from molasses, 3% from wheat, and the remainder from other grains, cassava or sugar beets. About 75% of biodiesel is based on vegetable oils (20% rapeseed oil, 25% soybean oil, and 30% palm oil) or used cooking oils (20%). More advanced technologies based on cellulosic feedstock (e.g. crop residues, dedicated energy crops, or wood) do not account for large shares of total biofuel production. The international biofuel sectors are strongly influenced by national policies that have three major goals: farmer support, reduced GHG emissions, and/or increased energy independence.

Peter

mvdebolskiy

Matvey Debolskiy
The major problem with this statement is that current day and near term projections do not foresee miscanthus or switchgrass being major biofuel contributors so there are no current rules on how to prescribe them. The scenario you are asking for would be a hypothetical SSP534 driven with unsupported assumptions on biofuel production. For such an investigation this would require that these assumptions can be translated into biofuel rules i.e. all new biofuels after a certain date will be represented by switchgrass or miscanthus based on certain climate rules.
Hi Peter,
1684162592640.png

But later in the century, 2nd gen biofuels (switchgrass and miscanthus) have so much area (especially for SSP5-RCP3.4OS). This is from Hurtt et al., 2020
I am just curious what does happen to them in ctsm52landusedatatool? Since they have 0 area before 2015 on the LUH2 dataset.

Mat